Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (14-13-0-0) return to game action with three games in three nights this weekend, beginning with a Friday night tilt against the Binghamton Devils (7-14-4-0) at the MassMutual Center at 7:05 p.m. The T-Birds then begin a home-and-home against the Providence Bruins (16-9-1-2) on Saturday in Springfield and Sunday in Providence.
The Devils come into Springfield on the heels of a woeful stretch that has seen Binghamton drop seven consecutive games (0-6-1-0). The Thunderbirds picked up a 3-2 win on Nov. 16 in Binghamton in the first of two meetings between the clubs this season. Owen Tippett and Aleksi Saarela each scored power play goals for Springfield, while Dominic Toninato added the game-winning shorthanded goal in the final period.
Springfield holds a 7-2-2-0 record all-time against the Devils, going back to their days as the Albany Devils in 2016-17, and the T-Birds are 4-0-1-0 in their last five games against the Devils dating back to the start of last season.
Then on Saturday, the T-Birds square off against the Bruins for the third time this season, having won each of the first two tangles with Providence. Brady Keeper scored the game-winning tally in the extra period on Nov. 23 in Springfield, and the power play struck for two tallies en route to a 5-2 win in Providence on Oct. 13. Blaine Byron and Anthony Greco each have produced three points in the first two victories over the Bruins, and 17 different Springfield skaters have at least one point in the young season series against the Bruins.
It will also be a special weekend for T-Birds fans, with celebrity appearances all weekend long. On Friday, the T-Birds will welcome (PLAYERS NAMES) from the U.S. Women's National hockey team for a pregame meet-and-greet on the concourse beginning at 6:00 p.m. On Saturday, Leslie David Baker ("Stanley Hudson") from NBC comedy "The Office" will be on hand for the festivities, with a VIP meet-and-greet at 5:00 p.m. and a public meet-and-greet beginning at 5:30 p.m. on the concourse.
For more ticket information or to become a 2019-20 Springfield Thunderbirds ticket package member, or to purchase single game tickets, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Voluntary Suspension for 2020-2021 AHL Season
- Thunderbirds Donate over 1,000 Stuffed Animals
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season