Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval
(Laval, Quebec) ... On the strength of multi-point efforts from forwards Eric Cornel (1+1) and Sean Malone (1+1), the Rochester Americans (17-4-2-2) opened the first half of a two-game set with the Laval Rocket (15-11-3-0) with a narrow 3-2 victory Friday night at Place Bell. The win also restored sole possession for first place in the AHL's North Division standings heading into Saturday's rematch with the Rocket.
With the win, the Amerks have earned points in 13 of their last 14 games dating back to Nov. 1, showing a 12-1-1-1 record over that span. Additionally, Rochester has picked up points in 19 of the last 22 contests overall, going 15-3-2-2, while also earning 38 out of a possible 50 points through their first 25 contests of the season.
Both Cornel and Malone each contributed a goal and an assist for the Amerks, who have won six of the last seven meetings against the Rocket dating back to the 2017-18 season. Defenseman Casey Nelson opened the scoring on the night with his fourth tally of the season while goaltender Jonas Johansson extended his personal win streak to a career-best six games as he made 35 saves. The Swedish netminder shows an 8-2-2 record while his 2.09 goals-against average is second-best in the AHL.
Charles Hudon scored his team-high 11th goal of the campaign for Laval, which came into the matchup winners in four of its last five home games, while Nikita Jevpalovs added his fourth. Goaltender Charlie Lindgren (7-6-2) stopped 17 of 20 shots he faced but was dealt the loss.
After seeing the Rocket pull within a goal 2:35 into the third period and taking their fifth penalty of the night, the Amerks successfully killed off the infraction to remain in front by a 3-2 score. Laval continued to press to find the equalizer, and despite pulling Lindgren, Johansson made timely saves in the final period to preserve the one-goal victory.
Rochester jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead as Nelson fired a shot from atop the blueline from Kevin Porter and Andrew Oglevie just 53 seconds into the contest. The lead would be short-lived, however, as Laval responded less than two minutes later to even the score while on the power-play.
Later in the first period, the Amerks were whistled for a hooking penalty, but a wide shot attempt as the penalty was expiring sent Malone and Cornel in the other direction on a 2-on-1 odd-man rush at the 13:58 mark. After entering the zone with the puck, Malone dished a pass to Cornel at the left wing. Cornel fired a shot that beat Lindgren and rang off the right post before Malone converted the rebound for his sixth of the season to give Rochester a 2-1 lead they carried into the final 20 minutes of play.
Much like the opening 20 minutes of play, the Amerks used a quick goal to increase the lead but the Rocket answered right back to keep it a one-goal game.
Carrying the puck through the neutral zone, Cornel snapped a shot from just inside the blueline and Lindgren kicked the puck to the right hash marks. Malone attempted to shovel in the rebound but this time it was Cornel making good on the second opportunity as he backhanded it into the net for his fifth of the campaign to restore the two- lead for Rochester.
Rookie Jacob Bryson was credited with the secondary helper just 1:57 into the third.
On the ensuing shift, Laval countered as Jevpalovs spotted a loose puck to the right of Johansson and picked the top-right corner with a shot from a near-impossible angle.
Rochester faced a lot of pressure from a desperate Rocket team for the remainder of the contest, and despite being outshot 18-5 in the final period, the Amerks survived the last push and held on for the 3-2 victory.
After a quick turnaround, the same two teams will meet up again on Saturday afternoon for a rematch at Place Bell. The 3:00 p.m. matinee will be carried live on The Sports Leader AM 950/95.7 FM ESPN Rochester as well as AHLTV.
ROC: C. Nelson (4), S. Malone (6), E. Cornel (5 - GWG)
LAV: C. Hudon (11), N. Jevpalovs (4)
ROC: J. Johansson - 35/37 (W)
LAV: C. Lindgren - 17/20 (L)
ROC: PP (0/2) | PK (4/5)
LAV: PP (1/5) | PK (2/2)
1. E. Cornel (ROC)
2. N. Jevpalovs (LAV)
3. J. Dea (ROC)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.