Red Wings Recall Bowey
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Friday recalled defenseman Madison Bowey from the Grand Rapids Griffins.
ï»¿ï»¿In his Griffins debut on Wednesday at San Diego, Bowey assisted on Matt Ford's game-winning goal with 1:27 remaining in regulation. The 24-year-old has appeared in 22 games for Detroit this season and ties for second among team defensemen in scoring with eight points (1-7-8) while adding 16 penalty minutes in 17:46 of average ice time.
ï»¿ï»¿Should he return to Detroit's lineup, Bowey will become the 182nd Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL. The Red Wings play at Montreal on Saturday at 7 p.m.
A 2018 Stanley Cup champion with the Washington Capitals, Bowey was acquired by Detroit from Washington along with a second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Nick Jensen and a fifth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft on Feb. 22, 2019. Selected in the second round, 53rd overall, of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft by the Capitals, the 6-foot-2, 202-pound blueliner has logged 123 career NHL games between Washington and Detroit since making his NHL debut on Oct. 14, 2017, totaling 30 points (3-27-30) and 86 PIM.
ï»¿In his fifth professional season, Bowey has 114 regular season AHL games to his credit since 2015-16 between Hershey and Grand Rapids, accounting for 52 points (9-43-52), a plus-28 rating and 94 PIM. In 31 Calder Cup Playoff games he shows 10 points (2-8-10) and helped lead Hershey to the 2016 Calder Cup Finals.
ï»¿A native of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bowey has earned gold medals while suiting up for Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship, 2013 IIHF World Under-18 Championship and 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.
ï»¿ï»¿The Griffins (10-13-1-2) continue their season-high six-game road trip against the Bakersfield Condors today at 10 p.m. EST.
ï»¿Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.