Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford
The first ever contest between the Belleville Senators and Rockford IceHogs went the way of the hosts after a 5-2 victory Friday night at CAA Arena.
Jordan Szwarz (2), JC Beaudin, Josh Norris and Alex Formenton had goals for the Senators as Filip Gustavsson made 24 saves. Rockford's Matt Tomkins turned aside 26 shots as Nicolas Beaudin and John Quenneville scored.
Beaudin had the lone goal of the opening period and it came on the penalty kill. On a clear by Joseph LaBate, Rockford captain Tyler Sikura tried to stop the puck with his stick but in the process slowed it down right into Beaudin's stride as he then skated in and went forehand, backhand to beat Tomkins up high for his first of the season at 13:54.
Belleville extended its lead to 2-0 28 seconds into the second period through captain Szwarz as he banked home a rebound after Erik Brannstrom had tossed the puck goalwards. It was 2-1 at 15:40 as Beaudin scored his first pro goal on a wrister from the slot after he was left wide open.
The IceHogs found the tying goal 28 seconds in the final frame as Tyler Sikura forced a turnover behind the Belleville net before centering to Quenneville who scored his fifth of the season.
But Belleville restored its lead at 4:35 on a nice in-tight finish from Norris as the rookie bagged his 11th of the year after beating Tomkins over his right shoulder for a 3-2 lead.
Szwarz's second of the evening at 17:49 pushed the lead to 4-2 as he banged in his own rebound before Formenton added an empty-netter with seven seconds left in regulation.
Sens forward Rudolfs Balcers had an assist in the game, his 11th straight with at least a point, a new franchise record.
Belleville returns to action Saturday afternoon when they visit Toronto. The Senators are back home Wednesday when they face Utica for the first time this season. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Stockton Heat, March 3rd
- TSN1200 to Provide Broadcast Coverage of All Belleville Senators Home Games
- Logan Shaw Named 4th Captain in Franchise History
- Belleville Senators Sign Goaltender Tye Austin to An Amateur Tryout
- Belleville Senators Announce Temporary Relocation for Home Games for 2020-21 Season