Royals Start 3-Game North Division Swing at Maine
Portland, ME - The Reading Royals (7-4-1-0, 15 pts., 1st North) look to take the season-series edge on the Maine Mariners (4-4-0-1, 9 pts., 5th North) in Reading's first trip to Cross Insurance Arena this season Monday at 7:00 p.m.
The Royals and Mariners split the first two games of the season series Oct. 19-20 at Santander Arena. Reading has rattled off five straight home wins since dropping their first game at Santander Arena Oct. 19 to the Mariners, 5-3. The Royals are 5-1-0-0 at Santander Arena, the best home mark in the division.
Reading has won five of six games; Saturday at Santander Arena, Ralph Cuddemi and Matthew Gaudreau ripped two goals for a 6-4 victory vs. Wheeling. The Royals maintain a one-point lead on Newfoundland for the top spot in the North Division.
The next three Royals games are on the road; Monday, Wednesday at Worcester and Friday at Adirondack. Following the trip, Reading begins a season-long six-game homestand Sat., Nov. 16 at Santander Arena vs. Wheeling for the Royals' annual Veterans Day Game.
Reading hosts home games every Saturday this November.
Broadcast Coverage: Watch: BCTV (Ch. 15 Comcast, Ch. 19 Service Electric) and ECHL.tv | Listen: mixlr.com/readingroyals
Goals: Cuddemi (8)
Assists: Mitchell/Cuddemi (7)
Points: Cuddemi (15)
PIM: Mitchell (20)
+/-: Gaudreau (12)
Goals: Fox (6)
Assists: Cammarata (7)
Points: Fox (12)
PIM: Adams-Moisan (13)
+/-: Crevier-Morin (6)
Monday's Veterans Day matchup marks the 11th meeting all time between the Royals and Mariners as both teams are 1-1-0-0 against each other this season. All-time, Reading is 6-4-0-0 vs. Maine with a 3-1-0-0 mark at Cross Insurance Arena. In the last matchup at Maine Apr. 3, Josh MacDonald scored twice and the Royals defeated Maine, 4-1, to win the season series.
Frank DiChiara is the most-prolific Royals point producer against the Mariners with nine points (3g) in his career. This season, Matthew Gaudreau bests Reading with a series-high four assists and five points. Ty Ronning (recalled to Hartford) has five points to top Maine. Dillan Fox has scored four goals and ten points in six career games against Reading.
The coaches Kirk MacDonald and Riley Armstrong have opposed each other in every game of the series; Armstrong left his post as Wheeling assistant coach to take the job in Maine for the 2018-19 expansion season.
After Monday's matchup between the Royals and the Mariners both teams won't see each other until December 27th when the Royals are back on the road in Maine.
Plenty of Highs
Reading has had a player score at least three points six times this season; three players scored at least three Saturday vs. Wheeling - Ralph Cuddemi (2g, 2a), Matthew Gaudreau (2g, 1a) and Steven Swavely (3a).
All those efforts either tied or set personal highs. Cuddemi's four-point night was his best in a game. Swavely tied a career-high with points and it was the first time he had three assists in a game. Gaudreau matched his best ever outings in goals and points.
A Royals Win Would...
Move Reading to .500 on the road this season...Be the fourth Royals win vs. Maine in the last five series games...
The Mariners are coming off a 5-1 win Saturday at home vs. Adirondack. Jake Elmer potted his first career hat trick. The rookie scored a team-high 39 points (81 pts.) for Lethbridge (WHL) last season and is on an NHL contract with the New York Rangers.
Maine has scored the game's first goal a league-low three times this season, but the squad has two wins when allowing the first goal. Reading has tallied the opening goal in eight of 12 games (6-1-1-0 record), the most in the North Division.
The Royals attempt 34 shots a game and surrender 28 a contest, both in the league's top-ten rankings. On the flip side, the Mariners rank in the league's bottom five with 26 shots a game (25th in ECHL) and 35 allowed per game.
Connor LaCouvee (1-2-0-1, 2.71 GAA, .915 sv.%) and Tom McCollum (3-2-0-0, 3.19 GAA, .910 sv. %) alternated decisions through the first five games of the season. LaCouvee got the reins for back-to-back games Oct. 25-26 and McCollum has won the last two Maine games.
Monday - Game at Maine, 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday - Practice at Worcester
Wednesday - Game at Worcester, 10:00 a.m.
Thursday - Practice at Adirondack
Friday - Game at Adirondack, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday - Game vs. Wheeling, 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - OFF Day
Monday - TBD
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2019
- Mariners Win Third Straight Thanks to Kile's OT Heroics - Maine Mariners
- Combs, Weninger Help Thunder to 4-2 Win on Veterans Day - Wichita Thunder
- Carzo Scores 100th ECHL Goal, But Mavs Drop Monday Night Contest - Kansas City Mavericks
- Hodgson Ties Game with 29 Seconds Left, Royals Grab Point at Maine - Reading Royals
- Admirals Acquire Defenseman Samuel Thibault from Indy - Norfolk Admirals
- Walleye Weekly: on the Road to Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Sam Thibault Traded to Norfolk - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - November 11 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - November 11, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Jake Coughler - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 11 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Trade Forward Salvaggio to Wichita - Allen Americans
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Acquires Salvaggio from Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 5 (November 4 - November 10, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Sweep Wings at Kalamazoo; Wings Visit Friday; Tip-A-Komet Tuesday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Adirondack Thunder Raise $16,645 for Military Veterans - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies Weekly: Taylor Richart Scores 100th Point with Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Oil Drops: Oilers End Week with First Road Win Before Autism Awareness Night on Saturday - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #5 (2019-20) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Receives Returned Kelly Cup - ECHL
- Another Fun Weekend of Doubleheader Hockey in Allen - Allen Americans
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Look to Gain Ground in Division After Weekend Sweep of Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of November 11 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Start 3-Game North Division Swing at Maine - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign
- Reading Royals Introduce FanSaves App to Connect Their Fans and Sponsors
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021
- Reading Royals Youth Hockey Association Announces Upcoming Clinics and Hockey Camps for Summer 2021
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return