Mavs Monday: Mavs Look to Gain Ground in Division After Weekend Sweep of Utah
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks swept a Friday-Saturday weekend set with divisional foe Utah Grizzlies this past week, moving into sixth place in the ECHL's Mountain Division. The back-to-back wins were the Mavs first consecutive wins of the season. The Mavericks kick off a busy week with three games against Western Conference opponents, beginning Monday night with a 6:05 p.m. Veterans Day faceoff against rival Wichita Thunder.
Last Week's Action
Fri. 11/8: 5-1 W vs. Utah
Sat. 11/9: 4-2 W vs. Utah
This Week's Schedule
Mon. 11/11 vs. Wichita
Wed. 11/13 at Indy
Sat. 11/16 vs. Rapid City
Mountain Division Standings
1. Allen (9-2-0-0, 18 points)
2. Rapid City (8-3-2-0, 18 points)
3. Idaho (7-3-2-1, 17 points)
4. Wichita (5-6-1-0, 11 points)
5. Tulsa (6-8-1-0, 13 points)
6. Kansas City (5-6-0-0, 10 points)
7. Utah (3-6-2-0, 9 points)
The Mavericks swept the Utah Grizzlies in a two-game set over the weekend, outscoring the Grizzlies 9-3 on the weekend. It was the first time this season the Mavericks won back-to-back games.
Third Period Frenzy
After trailing 2-1 early on in the third period of Saturday's game, the Mavericks scored three unanswered goals in the final 16:06 of regulation. Forward Loren Ulett tied the game at 2-2 nearly four minutes into the third, then the Mavericks got the game-winning goal from newcomer defenseman Corey Schueneman at the 10:33 mark of the period. Veteran forward Darian Dziurzynski netted an insurance goal just 23 seconds later and the Mavericks took home the 4-2 win.
Just Needs One
Mavericks Captain Rocco Carzo's next goal will be his 100th career ECHL goal. This is Carzo's fifth season with Kansas City. He currently sits in fourth place in franchise history with 64 goals as a Maverick, trailing Head Coach John-Scott Dickson, who has 85.
The Mavericks welcome Wichita back to KC after a three-game, home-home-away weekends series two weeks ago. The Mavs went 1-2-0 against the Thunder, winning Saturday, November 2nd's game in thrilling fashion, on an OT winner from forward Jack Walker. This will be the fourth of 18 total meetings between the two teams this season.
This will be the fourth of 18 total meetings between Kansas City and Wichita this season. The Thunder constitute 25 percent of the Mavericks schedule. In the history of the rivalry, the Mavericks hold a 35-24-4 advantage in the all-time ECHL series.
In two games this weekend against Utah, Mavericks goaltender Nick Schneider was stingy in net, only allowing three total goals all weekend, stopping 22 of 23 shots on Friday and 24 of 26 shots on Saturday. On the weekend, he stopped 46 of 49 shots by Utah, good for a .939 save percentage and 1.50 goals against average.
Apples for Ozzy
Mavs defenseman Zach Osburn has five assists in his last three games, including a three-assist performance against Utah on November 8. Osburn did not register an assist for the first eight games of the season.
Hockey Fights Cancer
November is Hockey Fights Cancer Month. In honor of Hockey Fights Cancer, the Mavs Insiders (Joe Rozycki and Adam Twenter) will be donating $10 for every point by Mavericks defenseman and cancer survivor Justin Woods this month. For more information on Woods' battle against cancer, visit kcmavericks.com.
Download the new Kansas City Mavericks mobile app in the App Store or Google Play. Access your mobile tickets, view stats, listen to broadcasts and view exclusive content by downloading the app today.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2019
- Mariners Win Third Straight Thanks to Kile's OT Heroics - Maine Mariners
- Combs, Weninger Help Thunder to 4-2 Win on Veterans Day - Wichita Thunder
- Carzo Scores 100th ECHL Goal, But Mavs Drop Monday Night Contest - Kansas City Mavericks
- Hodgson Ties Game with 29 Seconds Left, Royals Grab Point at Maine - Reading Royals
- Admirals Acquire Defenseman Samuel Thibault from Indy - Norfolk Admirals
- Walleye Weekly: on the Road to Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Sam Thibault Traded to Norfolk - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - November 11 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - November 11, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Jake Coughler - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 11 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Trade Forward Salvaggio to Wichita - Allen Americans
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Acquires Salvaggio from Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 5 (November 4 - November 10, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Sweep Wings at Kalamazoo; Wings Visit Friday; Tip-A-Komet Tuesday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Adirondack Thunder Raise $16,645 for Military Veterans - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies Weekly: Taylor Richart Scores 100th Point with Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Oil Drops: Oilers End Week with First Road Win Before Autism Awareness Night on Saturday - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #5 (2019-20) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Receives Returned Kelly Cup - ECHL
- Another Fun Weekend of Doubleheader Hockey in Allen - Allen Americans
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Look to Gain Ground in Division After Weekend Sweep of Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of November 11 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Start 3-Game North Division Swing at Maine - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Marcus Crawford Awarded All-Star MVP
- Marcus Crawford Selected as ECHL All-Star, Rescheduled Date for January 4 vs. Allen Announced
- Mavs Complete Comeback Win in Overtime in Iowa
- Mavs Drop Game Two of Military Appreciation Weekend
- Mavs Take Night One of Military Appreciation Weekend