Carzo Scores 100th ECHL Goal, But Mavs Drop Monday Night Contest
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks lost Monday night to the Wichita Thunder by the final score of 4-2. Mavericks Captain Rocco Carzo scored his 100th career ECHL goal in the third period and forward Loren Ulett picked up a goal in his second consecutive game. The Mavericks continued their success on the penalty kill, killing off all three Wichita power plays and have now killed off 27 consecutive penalties.
Mavericks forward Loren Ulett scored the first goal of the game with 3:55 to go in the first period, giving him goals in consecutive games. Forward Bryan Lemos and defenseman Corey Schueneman assisted on the opening tally. The Mavericks carried a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
Wichita evened the score early on in the second period on a goal from forward Jack Combs just 12 seconds into the middle frame. Forwards Spencer Dorowicz and Jason Salvaggio assisted on the goal. The Thunder took the lead on another goal from Combs at the 17:46 mark of the second period. Dorowicz and defenseman Garrett Schmitz assisted on the goal. Wichita continued to build on their lead just 37 seconds later at the 18:13 mark of the period on a goal from forward Stefan Fournier. Forward Ostap Safin picked up the lone assist on the goal.
The Mavericks drew closer in the third period, getting a power play goal from Mavericks Captain Rocco Carzo. The goal was the 100th of his ECHL career. Defenseman Cliff Watson and forward Mitch Hults assisted on the goal. The Mavericks continued to apply pressure to Wichita, but with Mavericks goaltender Nick Schneider pulled for the extra attacker, Wichita forward Beau Starrett scored on the empty net. Forward Billy Exell and defenseman Riley Weselowski assisted on the goal.
The Mavericks hit the road to Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis for a Wednesday night showdown with the Indy Fuel at 6:05 p.m. before returning home for a Saturday night battle with the Rapid City Rush. Faceoff for Saturday's game is 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2019
- Mariners Win Third Straight Thanks to Kile's OT Heroics - Maine Mariners
- Combs, Weninger Help Thunder to 4-2 Win on Veterans Day - Wichita Thunder
- Carzo Scores 100th ECHL Goal, But Mavs Drop Monday Night Contest - Kansas City Mavericks
- Hodgson Ties Game with 29 Seconds Left, Royals Grab Point at Maine - Reading Royals
- Admirals Acquire Defenseman Samuel Thibault from Indy - Norfolk Admirals
- Walleye Weekly: on the Road to Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Sam Thibault Traded to Norfolk - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - November 11 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - November 11, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Jake Coughler - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 11 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Trade Forward Salvaggio to Wichita - Allen Americans
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Acquires Salvaggio from Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 5 (November 4 - November 10, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Sweep Wings at Kalamazoo; Wings Visit Friday; Tip-A-Komet Tuesday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Adirondack Thunder Raise $16,645 for Military Veterans - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies Weekly: Taylor Richart Scores 100th Point with Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Oil Drops: Oilers End Week with First Road Win Before Autism Awareness Night on Saturday - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #5 (2019-20) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Receives Returned Kelly Cup - ECHL
- Another Fun Weekend of Doubleheader Hockey in Allen - Allen Americans
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Look to Gain Ground in Division After Weekend Sweep of Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of November 11 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Start 3-Game North Division Swing at Maine - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Zach Osburn Re-Ups for Second Season with the Mavericks
- Mavericks Sign Former Sabres Draft Pick Giorgio Estephan
- Mavericks Ink Defenseman Willie Corrin
- Rookie Defenseman Noah Delmas Joins Mavericks
- Back-To-Back Usport Goalie of the Year Taran Kozun Joins KC