Hodgson Ties Game with 29 Seconds Left, Royals Grab Point at Maine
Portland, ME - Down by one in the final minute, Hayden Hodgson redirected a shot from Eric Knodel to tie the game at three with 29 seconds left, but the Maine Mariners' Alex Kile scored a power-play goal at :23 of overtime and Maine skated to a 4-3 win Monday at Cross Insurance Arena. The Royals outshot the Mariners, 39-30. Reading remains in first place (7-4-2-0, 16 points).
Corey Mackin scored for the second straight game to give the Royals a 2-1 advantage at the end of first. The edge held until the third, when Terrance Wallin and Dillan Fox tallied consecutively to put Maine in front by a goal at 13:08.
On the tying play, the Royals pulled Kirill Ustimenko (OTL, 26 svs., 4 GA) and settled at the right corner. Matthew Gaudreau (2a) fed to Knodel, who shot it from the right-wing blue line. Hodgson put his stick on the ice at the slot and it tipped through Connor LaCouvee's legs (win, 36 svs., 3 GA).
Reading is at Worcester at 10:05 a.m. on Wednesday. The next Royals home game is Sat., Nov. 16 vs. Wheeling at 7:00 p.m., where the Royals will honor veterans on their Vet's Day contest.
Royals continue to score 1st
The Royals tallied the game's opening goal for the ninth time in 13 games; Jacob Graves' right-point bomb beat LaCouvee far post at 6:31. Under Kirk MacDonald two seasons ago, the Royals scored the game's first goal a league-best 46 times.
Reading has scored first in seven of the last eight games.
With Corey's Mackin's go-ahead goal late in the first (2-1 REA), the Royals have scored multiple goals in the first four times (twice vs. Maine).
Ustimenko's strong middle period
With the Royals up by a goal entering the second, Kirill Ustimenko made 11 saves to keep Reading ahead by one. The 20-year-old denied most of the shots in the final half of the period; with 10 minutes left in the second, Maine had eight total in the game.
Ustimenko earned his first career win vs. the Mariners Oct. 20.
Wallin scores twice, Kile in OT
Terrance Wallin tallied the Mariners' first two goals and struck at :26 of the third to tie the game at two. Dillan Fox sped over the Royals line and Wallin slammed home a rebound at the top of the crease. After Fox's go-ahead goal and the Royals' tying marker, Jacob Graves took a cross-checking minor at 20:00 of the third that allowed the Mariners to go to the man up to begin the extra session. Standing at the right circle, Alex Kile one-timed a cross-dot feed from Greg Chase to win the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2019
- Mariners Win Third Straight Thanks to Kile's OT Heroics - Maine Mariners
- Combs, Weninger Help Thunder to 4-2 Win on Veterans Day - Wichita Thunder
- Carzo Scores 100th ECHL Goal, But Mavs Drop Monday Night Contest - Kansas City Mavericks
- Hodgson Ties Game with 29 Seconds Left, Royals Grab Point at Maine - Reading Royals
- Admirals Acquire Defenseman Samuel Thibault from Indy - Norfolk Admirals
- Walleye Weekly: on the Road to Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Sam Thibault Traded to Norfolk - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - November 11 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - November 11, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Jake Coughler - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 11 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Trade Forward Salvaggio to Wichita - Allen Americans
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Acquires Salvaggio from Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 5 (November 4 - November 10, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Sweep Wings at Kalamazoo; Wings Visit Friday; Tip-A-Komet Tuesday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Adirondack Thunder Raise $16,645 for Military Veterans - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies Weekly: Taylor Richart Scores 100th Point with Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Oil Drops: Oilers End Week with First Road Win Before Autism Awareness Night on Saturday - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #5 (2019-20) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Receives Returned Kelly Cup - ECHL
- Another Fun Weekend of Doubleheader Hockey in Allen - Allen Americans
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Look to Gain Ground in Division After Weekend Sweep of Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of November 11 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Start 3-Game North Division Swing at Maine - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Cressey Gets Three Points in Win over League Leaders
- Pritchard Looks to Stay Hot against Growlers at 5:30
- Pritchard Records First-Ever Multi-Goal Game in 4-2 Loss to Growlers
- Reading Visits Newfoundland in Battle with League Leaders
- Royals Mount Comeback to Gain Overtime Point in 3-2 Loss to Lions