P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout
Worcester, MA - The Providence Bruins defeated the Worcester Sharks Saturday night 4-3 in a shootout. Zach Trotman, Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser scored in regulation and Spooner and Alexander Khokhlachev scored in the shootout for the P-Bruins. Malcolm Subban recorded 34 saves in regulation to earn the victory.
Both teams came into the game on four game winning streaks and looked confident in the first period, but neither team was able to get on the board as the game went into the first intermission scoreless.
In the second period it looked like it would be Worcester who would take control of the game, as Eriah Hayes scored to give Worcester the 1-0 lead at 10:05 mark. Hayes drove down the right wing and backhanded the puck over Subban's shoulder and into the net for his fourth goal of the season. Taylor Doherty and Riley Brace picked up the assists. Providence answered back at the 1:30 mark when Spooner tallied to tie the game with his fifth goal of the season. Ben Youds faked the shot, then ripped a pass across the ice to the streaking Spooner, who calmly put it into the net. Mike Moore grabbed the second assist. The game went into the second intermission tied at one.
Worcester came out to a fast start to begin the third period. Travis Oleksuk scored his third goal of the season at the 3:10 mark to give the Sharks the 2-1 lead. Oleksuk banked the puck in off of a defender's legs from behind the goal line. It was an unassisted goal. The P-Bruins gave up another goal at the 6:27 mark as Bracken Kearns had a nice give and go with Dan DaSilva to give the Sharks the two goal lead. It was Kearns fifth goal of the season, while Matt Tennyson recorded the second assist. The P-Bruins were resilient and opportunistic though as Fraser scored his 16th of the year while on the power play at the 9:04 mark. Spooner and Youds set up the play. The comeback was completed with 2:45 left in the game, as Trotman blasted home his first of the season with Joe Morrow and Spooner getting the assists. The game went into overtime tied at three.
In overtime, both teams exchanged lengthy shifts in the opponent's zone, but both goaltenders were up for the challenge stopping all the shots they faced.
In the shootout, each team exchanged goals in the first round, Spooner for Providence and James Livingston for Worcester. In round two Khokhlachev scored, which turned out to be the shootout winner as neither team scored after that as Providence went onto the 4-3 victory.
Subban stopped 34 of 37 shots in regulation and 4 of 5 shots in the shootous for the P-Bruins, while Harri Sateri made 25 saves in regulation and three saves in the shootout for the Sharks. Providence went 1-for-2 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
Providence is back in action at the Dunkin' Donuts Center Sunday, December 8 at 3:05pm against the Portland Pirates. The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a crazy cup courtesy of Dave & Busters. For tickets to this game or any other P-Bruins home games visit www.providencebruins.com .
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2