Falcons beat Hartford
Springfield, MA - The Hartford Wolf Pack fought back from a 2-0 first-period deficit to tie the game at two Saturday night at the MassMutual Center, but Broc Little's second-period goal only 62 seconds after the Wolf Pack had evened the score gave the Springfield Falcons a 3-2 win.
Ryan Bourque and Conor Allen scored second-period goals for the Wolf Pack, and Jeff Malcolm made 22 saves. Dalton Smith and Patrick McNeill scored the other Springfield goals, and Jeremy Smith stopped 19 shots.
The Falcons dominated the start of the game, and opened the scoring just five seconds after a Springfield power play expired, at 3:09. Malcolm stopped a shot from the right point by Tim Erixon, but Smith was able to poke the rebound underneath Malcolm's pads and in.
Springfield got another power play at the 19:30 mark, when Kyle Jean was sent off for boarding, and the Falcons scored a last-second goal to make it 2-0.
McNeill made a great play to keep the puck in the Wolf Pack zone at the right point, and threw a desperation shot at the net. Malcolm's view was completely obscured by a Falcon stationed right in front of him, and McNeill's shot sailed into the net to Malcolm's left with 0.4 seconds showing on the clock.
The Wolf Pack recovered from that potentially devastating blow to score the next two goals and tie the game.
Bourque buried the rebound of a Shawn O'Donnell shot at 11:51 of the second to cut the lead to 2-1. O'Donnell's right-wing drive was kicked out by Smith, but the rebound went right to Bourque, who was driving the middle, and Bourque banged it past Smith's stick side.
Then, after the Pack killed a double-minor for high-sticking to Dylan McIlrath, Hartford would click on its first power play of the night to tie it at two. Oscar Lindberg fed a pass across the slot from the right-wing boards, and Allen snuck down from the left point to just below the faceoff dot and snapped a perfect shot over Smith's shoulder and under the crossbar.
After working so hard to tie the score, though, the Wolf Pack would allow the eventual winning goal only 1:02 later. Malcolm stopped a long shot from the point by Frederic St. Denis, but the rebound went right to Little, Malcolm's ex-Yale University teammate, at the left side of the slot, and Little was able to slip a low shot underneath Malcolm.
The Wolf Pack and Falcons complete a home-and-home series Sunday afternoon at the XL Center with faceoff at 3:00 PM. The Wolf Pack will be having a birthday celebration at Sunday's game for Sonar, the team's lovable mascot, and it's also Autograph Day. The entire Wolf Pack team will be conducting an autograph session after the game in the XL Center atrium. Fans are invited to bring items for the players to sign, with a limit of two items per person. At every Wolf Pack Sunday home game in 2013-14, fans can take advantage of the Wolf Pack's "Click It or Ticket Sunday Family Value Packs". Those include two tickets, two hot dogs and two sodas, starting at only $35.
Tickets for all Wolf Pack 2013-14 home games are on sale now at the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com and by phone at (877) 522-8499. Wolf Pack tickets start as low as $12 for youth 12 years old or younger. To speak with a representative about season or group tickets, call (855) 762-6451.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.