RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series
ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender Jeff Deslauriers made 30 saves for his first shutout of the season and Bobby Farnham recorded a goal and an assist to lead the Penguins to 3-0 win against the St. John's IceCaps at Mile One Centre.
After a scoreless first period, the Penguins went ahead at 10:10 of the second during a 5-on-4 advantage. Defenseman Nick D'Agostino accepted a pass at the bottom of the far circle and threw the puck towards the IceCaps net. Tom Kuhnhackl had his initial deflection stopped in front, but was able to backhand the rebound under the leg pad of St. John's goalie Eddie Pasquale.
Brian Gibbons made the score 2-0 for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton as he led 3-on-2 rush and worked a give-and-go with Farnham before knocking in his eighth goal of the season with 2:43 remaining until the second intermission.
Twenty-one seconds into third period, Farnham stretched the Penguins' cushion to three with his second marker of the year. Mike Carman skated down the right wing and had his centering pass for Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond initially denied by the IceCaps defense, but Farnham raced up to the loose puck lying between the hash marks and blasted a shot past Pasquale.
Deslauriers kept St. John's off the board the rest of the way, including a point-blank glove on an Eric O'Dell chance late in regulation. Registering the ninth shutout of his AHL career, Deslauriers raised his record this season to 11-5-2. Pasquale took the loss for the IceCaps, making 13 saves on 16 shots.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins return home for a five-game homestand, beginning on Wednesday, Dec. 11 versus the Springfield Falcons at 7:05 p.m. Tune into the Sports Hub 102 or AHL Live.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Shane Starrett
- Forrest Named Head Coach, Karmanos Named GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Vellucci, Todd Reirden Hired as Assistant Coaches by Pittsburgh
- Penguins Sign Felix Robert and Luke Stevens
- Pittsburgh's Postseason Roster Features 19 Alumni of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton