Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead
Lewiston, ME--Tobias Rieder scored twice and Mark Visentin made 34 saves Saturday night, but the Pirates ended up falling to the Manchester Monarchs 4-3 in a shootout at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.
After a lengthy stoppage to take care of issues with the ice, the Pirates opened the scoring when Tobias Rieder scored at 6:41 in the first period. Rieder picked up the puck from Gilbert Brule and used his speed to get around the Manchester defender at the right circle, cutting across the front of the net and beating goaltender Jean-Francois Berube to give the Pirate the lead.
Brandon McMillan extended the Pirate lead to two at 9:24 when he came around the left side of the Monarchs goal, spinning and firing in one motion.
Trying to squash the Pirates mutiny, the Monarchs responded quickly, cutting the lead back to one just 11 seconds later when Zach O'Brien rocketed a one-timer from the hashmarks that beat Visentin.
In the second, Rieder notched his second goal of the night, and team-leading eighth of the season, when he tapped in a beautiful saucer pass from Brule that came from the right-side boards.
In the third, it was all Monarchs as they tried to get back into the game. At 12:32, Andrew Bodnarchuk blasted a slap shot from the point that rang off the iron work and in, bringing Manchester to within one. Then, with just under three minutes left, the Monarchs played the puck into the Portland zone around the glass. Visentin came out to play the puck, but it took a carom off a stanchion and bounced back in front, allowing O'Brien an easy tap-in for his second of the night.
In overtime, both teams had chances, but were unable to find the back of the net sending the game into a shootout. Andy Miele was the lone Pirate to score in the shootout while O'Brien and Pearson were able to score for Manchester.
Manchester's victory gives them their second shootout victory this season in the VIP Cup series and a 2-1 series lead. Tobias Rieder continues his torrid scoring in the series, with 4 goals to lead both teams. The loss was the Pirates 5th straight and the 5th straight game that they were outshot.
The Pirates will look to bounce back Sunday when they travel Providence to take on the Bruins at 3:05 p.m. Tomorrow's game can be heard on the Pirates flagship stations WPEI 95.5/95.9 FM as well as WEZR AM 1240 in the Lewiston/Auburn area and WTME AM 780/1450 in Oxford County. The game can also be heard online at portlandpirates.com by clicking "Listen Live" and can be seen live on AHL Live at ahllive.com. The pregame show starts at 2:45 with Jeff Mannix.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.