B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The B-Sens dropped a heartbreaker tonight as they fell in a shootout 4-3 on home ice to the Albany Devils. Andrew Hammond played tough between the pipes for Binghamton stopping 24 of 26 saves, but it was Albany's Keith Kinkaid who earned the victory while stopping 37 of 39 B-Sens shots including 14 in the overtime period.
Harri Pesonen started off the scoring for Albany at 8:15 of the opening period on a power-play goal giving the visitors the early lead. That score was carried into the first intermission with Kinkaid stonewalling all nine shots faced in the opening period and Hammond turning aside eight of nine Devils shots.
Binghamton struck just 1:03 into the middle frame when Jean-Gabriel Pageau received a beautiful cross-crease feed from line mate Mark Stone and slipped the puck past Kinkaid to level the score at 1-1. Matt Puempel gave the B-Sens the lead at 14:48 of the period when he sent home a power-play goal off helpers from Cody Ceci and Stephane Da Costa. The power-play goal ended a 0 for 17 skid for Binghamton on the man advantage. However, heavy penalty trouble toward the end of the frame gave Albany a five-on-three man advantage. Mike Sislo tied things up with less than two minutes to go in the period on Albany's second power-play notch of the night.
The third period was a goaltenders battle with both net minders turning aside all of their oppositions chances forcing an overtime period. Hammond finished the final period of regulation stopping all eight Albany tries while Kinkaid turned aside all seven B-Sens shots.
Overtime brought 14 shots for Binghamton after Albany's Dan Kelly was sent to the penalty box for a tripping call just 1:11 into the extra period, but Kinkaid handled all shots sending the game to a shootout.
Stefan Matteau and Artem Demkov made good on their shootout attempts while Andre Petersson was the only Binghamton shooter to beat Kinkaid giving the visitors the shootout victory.
Binghamton finished 1 for 5 on the man advantage while Albany converted two of its five power-play opportunities.
Binghamton returns to action on Wednesday, December 11, when they welcome the Hershey Bears to the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena in a 7:05p.m. contest. Tickets are available by calling the Binghamton Senators Executive Office at (607) 722-7367 or stopping in between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Fans can also purchase tickets through the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets during normal business hours by visiting www.ticketmaster.com or at 1-800-745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.