Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons (15-4-1-1) defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack by the final score of 3-2 Saturday night at the MassMutual Center, improving the team's record to 4-0-0-0 in matchups between the two Northeast Division rivals this season.
Broc Little found the back of the net off of a Wolf Pack defenseman's skate at 18:58 of the second period to give Springfield a 3-2 lead. For Little, the goal was his second of the season, first since October 19, and served as the game-winner Saturday night.
The Falcons got out to an early 2-0 lead, getting first-period tallies from Dalton Smith and Patrick McNeill. Smith buried a rebound off of Tim Erixon's initial shot from the point at 3:09 of the opening frame to put Springfield ahead 1-0. Smith's score was his third of the season and second in the team's last three games.
Patrick McNeill scored the team's only power-play goal, scoring on a seeing-eye wrist shot from the right point with only 0.4 seconds remaining in the first period to give the Falcons a two-goal lead.
The Wolf Pack answered with two consecutive goals in the second period to even the score at 2-2. Ryan Bourque - at 11:51 - and Connor Allen - at 17:56 - were credited with the scores.
Jeremy Smith made 19 saves on 21 shots faced in net for Springfield, improving to 9-3-1 this season. Jeff Malcons stopped 22 of 25 shots in a losing effort for Hartford, falling to 1-3-0 in 2013-14.
Each team converted once on the power play. Springfield went 1-for-6 with the man advantage, while Hartford went 1-for-3.
Including Saturday night's victory, the Falcons have won six consecutive games at home and eight of their last nine at the MassMutual Center. Springfield maintains a 10-2-0-0 record at home this season.
The Falcons are back in action Sunday, December 8 when they hit the road to take on the Wolf Pack for the first time this season at the XL Center in Hartford. The team plays its next five games on the road, returning to the MassMutual Center Thursday, December 26 to host the Adirondack Phantoms.
Fans are invited to the MassMutual Center in 2013-14 to watch the reigning Northeast Division-champion Falcons compete in their 20th anniversary season. Adult season-ticket packages start as low as $13 per game. To reserve your seats for the 2013-14 season, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Support the Falcons throughout the 2013-14 season by wearing red, white and blue at all the home games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.