Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies
TORONTO, ONTARIO - Hamilton Bulldogs forward Martin St. Pierre scored twice and goaltender Robert Mayer made 22 saves as the 'Dogs topped the Toronto Marlies 2-1 on Saturday evening at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto, Ontario.
St. Pierre opened the scoring on the power play at 11:52 of the first period, assisted by forward Mike Blunden and defenceman Nathan Beaulieu.
Just 1:02 into the second period, St. Pierre took a pass from forward Christian Thomas all alone in front and put the puck past Marlies goaltender Drew MacIntyre to make it 2-0 'Dogs. Forward Patrick Holland earned a second assist on the play.
With Hamilton forward Nick Tarnasky serving a double minor for butt-ending, Toronto defenceman Korbinian Holzer scored on the power play with 2:06 left in the second period to get the Marlies on the board, 2-1. Forwards Brad Ross and Kory Nagy drew assists on the play.
The Marlies carried the play in the last part of the third period, but the 'Dogs held strong through a late-game penalty kill and a Toronto extra-attacker advantage to preserve the win.
Mayer made 22 saves on 23 shots in the Bulldogs net in the win. MacIntyre made 21 saves on 23 shots for the Marlies in the loss.
The Bulldogs went 1-for-3 on the power play, while the Marlies went 1-for-5.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.