Comets lose to Adirondack
The Utica Comets once again could not mount a third period comeback, as they dropped their third straight game, this 3-1 to the Adirondack Phantoms at the Glens Falls Civic Center. The Comets were in search of their sixth win in seven tries away from home, but a 2-0 hole midway through the second period proved to be too much for Utica to overcome.
Darren Archibald was the lone Utica goalscorer, as his unassisted tally in the second period proved to be all the Comets would muster offensively. Joe Cannata turned away 26 of 29 shots against as he lost his second start in a row.
The first period saw the Comets go without a shot on goal for the first 11:48 before Kent Huskins finally broke the drought. Cannata turned aside all four shots he faced, behind a defensive effort that led to the least amount of shots the Comets have allowed all season during a single period. Cal O'Reilly had the period's best chance as he found himself all alone in front off of a Nicklas Jensen feed, but the veteran center couldn't beat Cal Heeter, who finished the game with 18 saves.
The Phantoms opened the scoring just 2:49 into the second as Ben Holmstrom buried a rebound in front of the Utica net, which sparked a massive influx of teddy bears onto the ice. Cannata turned aside attempts from both Rob Bordson and Chris VandeVelde, but the third shot proved to be the charm as the Adirondack captain put home the game's first goal.
Kris Newbury doubled the lead almost ten minutes later, as he finished off a nice feed from Jason Akeson on a 3-on-1 rush. Newbury's goal, which came on the power play, was the product of a nice passing play on an outnumbered Utica defense. The goal was Newbury's fifth of the season and Akeson extended his team lead in assists, with his 13th helper of the season.
The Comets answered back with less than six minutes to play in the second as Darren Archibald buried his third goal of the season. Archibald drove to the net to pick up his own rebound and forced the puck over the goal line to cut the Phantoms' lead in half.
Adirondack scored an insurance goal at the 12:03 mark as Akeson poked home a loose puck in front for his team's third of the night. Cannata got a piece of a Brandon Manning point shot, but the Merrimack graduate could not hold on and Akeson put it home for his second point of the night.
The Comets fell to 6-13-1-1 with the loss. Utica is next in action next Friday for Clinton Comets Appreciate Night at The AUD. The Comets will host the Binghamton Senators as they honor the history of the Comets name. Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.