Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Colton Sceviour scored his AHL-leading 18th goal of the season with 1:11 remaining in overtime and Cristopher Nilstorp stopped 38-of-39 shots as the Texas Stars beat the Iowa Wild 2-1 Saturday night in front of 5,080 fans at Cedar Park Center.
The Stars came out firing in the first frame outshooting the Wild 20-11 and also killed off two tripping penalties. At the ten-minute mark, Texas had outshot Iowa 16-3. However, neither team was able to find the net during the first 20 minutes.
Texas goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp made an early save in the second period splitting his pads to deny Jason Zucker the chance to give Iowa the lead. With just 35.3 seconds left in the middle frame, Stars center Scott Glennie would put the first point on the board extending his point streak to five games. Glennie took a pass from Maxime Fortunus and brought it around the back of the net to the top of the left faceoff circle before snapping a wrist shot past a screened Darcy Kuemper to take the lead.
At 10:49 of the third period, Wild center Tyler Graovac tied the game on the power play with a one-timer from the slot off a give-and-go with defenseman Brian Connelly. There were no more goals for the remainder of regulation play, sending the game into overtime.
Texas out-shot Iowa 5-1 in the extra session and with just 1:11 left in overtime Stars right wing Colton Sceviour took a centering pass Justin Dowling, slipped around a Wild defenseman and then beat Kuemper over the glove from close range to score the game-winning goal. This was Sceviour's AHL leading 18th goal of the year and he became the second player in the league this season to reach the 30-point mark.
Cristopher Nilstorp stopped 38-of-39 shots to record his sixth win over season in goal for Texas. Iowa goaltender Darcy Kuemper finished with 44 saves on 46 shots and suffered his ninth loss of the year. The Stars out-shot the Wild 46-39 in the game and went 0-for-2 on the power play. Iowa was 1-for-4 with the man-advantage.
The Stars will return to action on Friday, December 13th as they will host the Chicago Wolves for a 7:30 p.m. faceoff at Cedar Park Center. Friday's game is another Coke Zero Family Four Pack Night and a $3 Draft Beer and $4 Robert Mondavi Private Selection Wine Night. Pro-rated full and partial 2013-14 Texas Stars Season Tickets are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- STARS Dallas Stars Release 2019-20 Training Camp Roster and Schedule
- Stars and Moose Announce Game Time Change
- 2019-20 Stars Promotional Schedule Announced
- Texas Stars Forward Travis Morin Announces Retirement, Joins Front Office
- Stars Announce Preseason Schedule with Rampage