IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0
ST. JOHN'S, NL - Jeff Deslauriers made 30 saves - including two sprawling stops on Jason Jaffray and Eric O'Dell in the final frame - to propel the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to a 3-0 win over the St. John's IceCaps Saturday night at Mile One Centre.
Tom Kuhnhackl scored what stood to be the game-winning goal for the Penguins, while Brian Gibbons and Bobby Farnham had the other markers for the visitors.
Eddie Pasquale turned aside 13 shots in a losing cause for St. John's, which outshot Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 30-16.
After a scoreless first period, the Penguins jumped ahead 1-0 on the man-advantage midway through the second frame on a goal from Kuhnhackl. After Pasquale kicked out Brendan Mikkelson's tight-angle shot from the corner, Kuhnhackl pounced on the loose disc and fired it five-hole past Pasquale.
Gibbons extended the Penguins' lead two at 17:17, when he completed the give-and-go play with Farnham. Charging in on a three-on-two rush, Gibbons dished it to Farnham before taking the feed right back and wristing it top shelf to make it 2-0.
Then, just twenty-one seconds into the third period, Farnham made it 3-0 for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. After winning the opening draw, Farnham pounced on a loose puck in the slot and wired a wrister past Pasquale that fooled him over the glove.
O'Dell had the best scoring chance for the IceCaps in the final frame, when he was robbed point blank by Deslauriers who made a sprawling glove save to preserve the shutout bid.
The IceCaps continue their four-game home stand Tuesday and Wednesday at Mile One against the Syracuse Crunch. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at stjohnsicecaps.com and on 930 AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador, or watch online at ahllive.com. Puck drop is 7:30 p.m. NT, with the pregame show getting underway at 7:00.
Notes: St. John's and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton combined for just six first-period shots... Not dressed for St. John's: Cody Lampl, Josh Lunden, Julian Melchiori, Travis Ehrhardt, Austen Brassard... St. John's went 0-for-4 on the man advantage and killed off 1-of-2 shorthanded situations... Molson Canadian Three Stars: 1. Jeff Deslauriers, 2. Brian Gibbons, 3. Bobby Farnham ... Mary Brown's Hardest Working Player: Ryan Schnell.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.