Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers
Charlotte, NC - For the second time in three weeks the Rockford IceHogs split a two-game set at the Time Warner Cable Arena against the Charlotte Checkers as the Hogs pulled out a 5-3 win on Saturday night.
Rockford grabbed the game's first goal once again on Saturday. Joakim Nordstrom fired a pass into the Checkers slot in transition and Garret Ross was there to one-time home his fifth goal of the season at 7:15.
Later in the frame Brendan Woods tied the game when he fired home is third goal of the season over the shoulder of Kent Simpson at 15:47 from the bottom of the left faceoff circle.
Rockford reclaimed the lead with a second period-power play goal. Terry Broadhurst spotted Brad Winchester back door and Winchester fired home his sixth marker of the season into an open Charlotte net at 2:07.
Another pretty set up stretched Rockford's lead to 3-1. While skating 4-on-4, Klas Dahlbeck slipped a pass to Nordstrom in front of Mike Murphy and he buried his sixth goal of the season at 11:12 of the second frame.
Ross tallied his second marker of the game at 16:30 of the period when Adam Clendening found him on the weak post, moving the IceHogs lead to 4-1, the eventual game-winning goal.
The Hogs couldn't get out the frame with a three goal lead, however, as the Checkers tallied on the advantage with less than a second left in the period. Mark Flood picked up a clear out attempt and beat a stickless Simpson for his eighth goal of the season.
Dahlbeck buried his third empty net goal, and seventh overall, while the IceHogs were shorthanded at 19:45 of the third period to make it 5-2 before A.J. Jenks tallied his first marker of the season at 19:51.
Simpson earned the win by making 30 saves while Murphy took the loss after blocking 27 Rockford shots.
Next Home Game: Friday, Dec. 13 vs. Oklahoma City Barons at 7 p.m. The first 2,500 fans through the gates will get a BMO Harris Bank Hubert Doll as the IceHogs open a two-game weekend set against the Barons. For tickets, call (815) 968-5222, visit IceHogs.com or in person at the BMO Harris Bank Center or any Ticketmaster location.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Sign Hobey Baker Finalist and Two-Time Big-10 Champion Cale Morris for 2020-21 Season
- IceHogs Defenseman of the Year Cody Franson Returns to Club for Upcoming Season
- Stateline Teachers, Today Is the Last Day to Enter to Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank
- Former IceHogs Johns and Rutta Collide in 2020 Stanley Cup Final
- Stateline Teachers: Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank =F0=9F=8D=8E