Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch
Lewiston, ME - The Pirates will look to snap their 4 game losing streak and take a 2-1 series lead in the VIP Cup Series when they face the Manchester Monarchs on Saturday night. Puck drop is at 7 PM as the Pirates and Monarchs meet at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee for the third time this season.
The Pirates dropped an 8-2 decision to the Worcester Sharks last night in Worcester. Gilbert Brule extended his goal scoring streak to 5 games, tying him with Luke Adam and Reid Boucher for the longest goal scoring streak in the AHL this season, but Worcester scored 5 straight goals to open the game. Both Mark Visentin and Mike Lee allowed 4 goals on the night. Matt Neito tied a Sharks record with 5 points on the night for Worcester, while Brendan Shinnimin had the second Pirates goal.
Manchester also dropped their game on Friday night, a 7-2 defeat at the hands of the Providence Bruins. Matt Fraser had a hat trick for the Bruins as the Monarchs allowed 5 goals in the third period. Jean-Francois Berube took the loss for the Monarchs, allowing 7 goals on 33 shots.
The Pirates tied the VIP Cup series in their last meeting with Manchester, a 4-1 win on November 15th at the Colisee. Gilbert Brule, Randy Jones, Tobias Rieder, and Chris Summers supplied the scoring for the Pirates while Mark Visentin made 24 saves for the victory. Brule's goal was the third game of his current 5 game goal scoring streak.
The VIP Cup Series is currently tied at one game apiece. The Pirates have hosted all three VIP Cup games so far this season, with Manchester hosting their first game on December 20th. The Pirates are 2-1 all time in VIP Cup games at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.
KeyBank Key to the Game
Zone Defense: The Pirates need to support their goaltenders with strong defense and shot blocking. Pirates opponents have outshot the Pirates in each of their last 4 games, so shot blocking and strong defense will go a long way towards ending the Pirates' four game skid.
Throughout the month of December, the Pirates will be collecting donations of non-perishable and canned food at all home games at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. Pirates fans who donate will receive 2 tickets to an upcoming January Pirates game, based on availability. All food will be donated to the Good Shepherd Food Bank.
Tonight's game can be heard on the Pirates flagship stations WPEI 95.5/95.9 FM as well as WEZR AM 1240 in the Lewiston/Auburn area and WTME AM 780/1450 in Oxford County. The game can also be heard online at portlandpirates.com by clicking "Listen Live" and can be seen live on AHL Live at ahllive.com. The pregame show starts at 6:40 with Jeff Mannix. Tickets are available by calling the Colisee Box Office at (207) 783-2009 or online at thecolisee.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.