Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1
Cedar Park, TX - The Iowa Wild (8-12-1-0, 17 points) were defeated by the Texas Stars (14-8-2-2, 32 points) 2-1 in overtime in front of 5,080 fans at the Cedar Park Center on Saturday night. Texas forward Colton Sceviour scored his AHL league-leading 18th goal of the year at 3:49 of overtime, lifting the Stars past the Wild. Iowa goalie Darcy Kuemper (5-9-0) made 44 saves in his club's first-ever overtime defeat. Texas goalie Christopher Nisltorp (6-8-1) made 38 saves for the OT win. Wild rookie forward Tyler Graovac scored the team's lone goal, as Iowa fell to 2-1-1-0 on the current four-game road trip. Iowa begins a two-game set in Abbotsford on Wednesday at 9 p.m. (CT).
After a scoreless first period and nearly a scoreless second period, Texas forward Brett Ritchie scored the game's first goal with 36 seconds remaining in the middle frame. Stars forward Scott Glennie swung out towards the blueline and rifled the puck to the Iowa net. Ritchie redirected the shot past Wild goalie Darcy Kuemper, scoring his fifth goal of the year for the 1-0 lead.
The Wild evened the score with a power-play goal at 10:49 of the third period. Rookie Tyler Graovac finished off a give-in-go with defenseman Brian Connelly. Graovac snapped a shot over the shoulder of Christopher Nilstorp for his third goal of the year. Defenseman Jonathon Blum added an assist on the tally, forcing overtime at 1-1.
With 1:11 left in overtime, Texas forward Justin Dowling found Colton Sceviour in the Iowa slot. Sceviour flipped the puck past Kuemper for his league-leading 18th goal of the year. Defenseman Maxime Fortunus added an assist on the game-winning goal at 3:49.
The Wild continues a six-game road trip on Wednesday, Dec. 11 at 9 p.m. (CT) at Abbotsford. After a second game on Thursday, Dec. 12, the team returns home on Sunday, Dec. 15 to host Rockford at 4:05 p.m. For Sunday's game, the team will hold its first Teddy Bear Toss, where fans are encouraged to throw a stuffed animal on the ice for charity. Fans will be permitted to through Teddy Bears on the ice after the Wild score its first goal of the night. Fans may purchase the Subway Family Four Pack for the game, which features four tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and Subway coupons starting at $44.
Fans may purchase single game tickets multiple ways, either through the team's website - www.Iowawild.com, Wells Fargo Arena box office or Dahl's Ticketing. Tickets are available online at www.iowawild.com under the single game tickets tab. Fans may also purchase tickets by calling 1-866-55-DAHLS (32457) or by visiting one of 13 Dahl's Food Stores locations in the greater Des Moines area, and in Ames. In order to purchase group tickets (10 or more), please call the Iowa Wild ticketing department at 515-564-8700. Fans interested in buying full season, or smaller season packages may call the Iowa Wild front office at 515-564-8700.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Mitchell Chaffee to Two-Year, Entry-Level Contract
- Minnesota Wild Signs Forwards Adam Beckman and Damien Giroux to Entry-Level Contracts
- Iowa Wild Announces COVID-19 Community Relief Campaign with Food Bank of Iowa
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Defenseman Matt Bartkowski to Iowa
- Iowa Wild Statement Regarding Today's AHL Announcement