Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win
SYRACUSE, NY - Jesse Blacker's third period marker lifted the Norfolk Admirals to a hard fought 2-1 victory over the Syracuse Crunch at the Onondaga War Memorial Arena Saturday evening.. Norfolk (12-8-0-4, 28 pts) completes the weekend sweep of Syracuse (11-8-1-2, 25 pts) grabbing all four points on the road trip.
The first period featured a couple of scraps and big hits. However, one big hit by Syracuse's J.P. Cote was costly. Cote was handed a match penalty for checking to the head of Admirals forward John Kurtz. The penalty resulted in a lengthy Admirals power play.
Norfolk took advantage as Rickard Rakell delivered a pass to the front of the net. The pass deflected off a Syracuse defender in front causing the puck to bounce up in the air and over the shoulder of an unsuspecting goaltender Kristers Gudlevskis. Rakell's team-leading eighth of the season gave Norfolk a 1-0 lead after the first period.
The Crunch responded at 4:47 of the second period when Max Parent's shot from the slot was fended off by Admirals netminder Igor Bobkov. However, the rebound bounced to the left side of crease and knocked into the net by Eric Neilson to tie the game at one.
The Admirals reclaimed the lead at 11:48 of the third. Jesse Blacker fired a shot from the top the left wing circle which beat a screened Gudlevskis for the go-ahead goal. Blacker has recorded a goal in three of the last four games.
Syracuse attempted to net the equalizer, but Bobkov and the Norfolk defense shutdown the Crunch down the stretch to seal the 2-1 victory.
Bobkov earns the win stopping 21 of 22 shots faced, while Gudlevskis takes the loss allowing two goals on 24 shots.
The Admirals return home for a pair of games against the Springfield Falcons on December 13 & 14. The Annual Toy Toss is set for Friday, December 13th. Fans are encouraged to bring a new stuffed animal or toy to the game and throw it onto the ice when the Admirals score their first goal. All of the stuffed toys will be rounded up by the Marine Corp for the Toys for Tots and distributed to local children for the holidays.
Game tickets are now on sale, and are available through the Norfolk Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
For 10-packs, or discounted group tickets stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, or call (757) 640-1212 Office hours are Monday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fans can also visit us online at www.norfolkadmirals.com
1. Jesse Blacker (NOR)
2. Eric Neilson (SYR)
3. Rickard Rakell (NOR)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.