Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last
Rosemont, Ill.---The Chicago Wolves scored twice in the third period to take the lead, but Oklahoma City answered with four goals in the final six minutes to seize a 5-2 victory Saturday night at Allstate Arena.
Forwards Sergey Andronov and Pat Cannone produced goals for the Wolves (10-10-0-2), who lost despite outshooting the Barons 41-23.
"Different night, same story," said Wolves head coach John Anderson. "We are just not scoring. And until we do start scoring consistently, the outcomes aren't going to change."
Oklahoma City (10-12-0-2) opened the scoring as former Wolves defenseman Brad Hunt delivered a power-play goal at 6:34 of the first period. Andrew Miller brought the puck up the right side and fed it into the slot for Hunt, who banged his shot off the post on Wolves goaltender Jake Allen's stick side.
The Wolves' fusillade finally paid off at 4:27 of the third period when Andronov redirected defenseman Cade Fairchild's blast from the left point. Right wing Tyler Shattock also earned an assist as Chicago held the puck for an extended time in the Oklahoma City zone.
The Wolves rode that momentum to take a 2-1 lead on Cannone's goal at 7:59. Shattock flipped the puck from along the right boards toward Oklahoma City goaltender Ty Rimmer, who directed the rebound toward the left circle. Cannone anticipated the carom and punched his shot from the faceoff dot over Rimmer's glove.
The Barons erased the lead when Miller swiped a pass at his own blue line and raced in for a crafty breakaway score at 14:55 of the third. Oklahoma City earned the game-winner 57 seconds later when center Roman Horak tipped in the rebound of Hunt's blast from the near side. Horak and Matthew Ford added empty-net goals in the final 1:20 to forge the final margin.
Allen (9-6-2) saved 18 of 21 shots for the Wolves. Rimmer (1-0-0) posted 39 saves and one assist in his first AHL start of the year.
The Wolves host Oklahoma City again at 3 p.m. Sunday. For tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.