Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat defeated the San Antonio Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers) 4-2 on Teddy Bear Toss night, presented by Sunrise Toyota, at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat are now 18-6-1-1 on the season and sit first in the American Hockey League (AHL) with 38 points.
Markus Granlund led the way for Abbotsford with three points (1+2), extending his point streak to eight games. Ben Street maintained his November form after being named CCM AHL Player of the Month, as he and Ben Hanowski each added a goal and an assist. Joni Ortio also continued his strong play and is now 10-1 on the season.
The Heat dominated play for much of the first period, but both Joni Ortio and Jakub Markstrom stopped every shot they faced. The Heat outshot the Rampage 12 to 5 in the period, and both teams each had one power play opportunity.
Hanowski sent the teddy bears flying by opening the scoring at 14:08 of the second period. Hanowski's power play goal was assisted by Michael Ferland and Mark Cundari. The period featured a steady parade to the penalty box, with 11 minor penalties assessed between the teams.
Street stretched the Heat lead to 2-0 at 1:02 of the third period on another Heat power play, assisted by Granlund and Chad Billins. However, San Antonio tied the game with goals at 2:23 and 11:41 by Bobby Butler and Vincent Trocheck. Just 38 seconds after the Rampage tied the game, Max Reinhart scored a power play goal from Street and Granlund to retake a 3-2 lead. Granlund provided an empty net insurance goal at 19:03, assisted by Hanowski, giving the Heat a 4-2 win.
Abbotsford was three for eight with the man advantage, and killed off all five San Antonio power plays.
Joni Ortio made 29 saves on 31 shots, while Jakub Markstrom stopped 34 of 37 shots.
The Heat will host the San Antonio Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers) for the second of the series tomorrow. The Heat will then host the Iowa Wild (AHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild) on Wednesday December 11th and Thursday December 12th. Please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or go to abbotsfordheat.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Comets lose to Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Barons rally to beat Wolves 5-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins off to Best Start in Franchise History - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Outlast Wolf Pack, Win 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Outshoot Pirates, Take VIP Cup Series Lead - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Lose 4-3 in Shootout to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Rally First, But It Doesn't Last - Chicago Wolves
- Sceviour's Overtime Goal Hands Texas 2-1 Win over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Holmstrom Makes It Rain Teddy Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons beat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers beat Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ross Leads Hogs Past Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Zach Puts Them Back on Track - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Slip by Wild in OT 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Lose Rockford Rematch - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Admiral 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Five Games After 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Stun Sharks 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Devils Withstand Senators, Win in SO - Albany Devils
- Norfolk Completes Weekend Sweep of Syracuse with 2-1 Win - Norfolk Admirals
- RECAP: Penguins Shutout IceCaps to Split Weekend Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Fall to Penguins 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall 2-1 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Hold on for 2-1 Win over Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Connolly Recalled, Sivak Released from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Forward Michael St. Croix Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Reassign Nordstrom to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Banwell Released from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Recall Louis Domingue from Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Gameday: Comets at Adirondack - Utica Comets
- Pirates Look to Take VIP Cup Advantage vs. Monarch - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Top Oklahoma City 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.