Heat Beat Griffins 2-1 in Dramatic Fashion
Grand Rapids, MI - The Abbotsford Heat beat the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) 2-1 on Wednesday night at Van Andel Arena. The Heat now trail the best of five series 2-1.
A two goal third period from the Heat was enough to get by the defending champions in regulation time. It marked the first time all season, that the Griffins lost a game in regulation when leading after two periods. Markus Granlund picked up his first career AHL playoff goal, while goaltender Joni Ortio earned his first AHL playoff win in goal.
The Griffins scored the lone goal of the first period courtesy of Tomas Jurco at the 17:27 mark on the power play. After 20 minutes, the Griffins led the shot count 14-7.
The second period was scoreless as the Heat outshot the Griffins 10-6, but could not put anything past Petr Mrazek.
Corey Locke tied the game at 5:52 of the third period with the assists going to Chris Breen and Blair Jones. With time winding down, the Heat received a late power play and Markus Granlund scored the game winning goal at 18:58 with Chad Billins and Joni Ortio drawing the assists.
The Heat finished the game with one goal on four power play attempts and killed off three of four Griffins man advantages.
Joni Ortio made 34 saves on 35 shots in the Heat win, while Petr Mrazek was charged the loss turning aside 23 of 25 shots.
The Heat continue their first round Calder Cup playoff series in a do-or-die game number four on Friday, May 2nd against the Grand Rapids Griffins at Van Andel Arena. Puck drops at 4:00 PM PST.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 30, 2014
- Barons Season Comes to a Close with 4-2 Loss to Texas - Oklahoma City Barons
- Admirals Win Marathon to Take 2-1 Series Lead - Norfolk Admirals
- Abbotsford Scores Late to Take Game 3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Sweep Barons to Advance to Second Round - Texas Stars
- Admirable Effort - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Beat Griffins 2-1 in Dramatic Fashion - Abbotsford Heat
- Penguins Take 2-1 Series Lead in Third Straight OT Game - Binghamton Senators
- Devils Shut Out In Game 3 - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Blank Devils to Take 2-1 Series Lead - St. John's IceCaps
- Springfield Mayor Sarno Interviewed by FalconsTV - Springfield Falcons
- Dallas Stars Return Defenseman Patrik Nemeth to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Kings Recall Schultz from Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Cracknell and Kattelus Return to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Sign Goaltender Garrett Bartus to PTO - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Look to Stave off Elimination on Thursday - Milwaukee Admirals
- "We Just Ran out of Season" - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Force a Game 5 with a 6-3 Win over Falcons - Providence Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.