Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates
Springfield, MA - Christian Fischer scored late in regulation to tie the game and Dakota Mermis scored in overtime as the Springfield Falcons topped the Portland Pirates 3-2 on Saturday night at the MassMutual Center.
The Falcons opened the scoring compliments of a nifty play on the man advantage. Craig Cunningham fed Brendan Shinnimin, who posted a shot on Pirates goalie, Sam Brittain. The rebound found Fischer who fired a shot into the back of the net for his first career professional goal at 7:28. Falcons' goaltender Adin Hill stopped all eight shots in the frame as Springfield carried a 1-0 lead into the second period.
Portland evened the game early in the middle frame thanks to a shorthanded tally. After a turnover in the offensive zone by Kyle Wood, Wade Megan and John McFarland entered the Springfield zone on a two-on-one. Hill turned aside McFarland's shot but Megan deposited the rebound for his 14th of the season at 3:36. The Pirates took the lead just over seven minutes later when MacKenize Weegar fired the puck from the slot. The blast hit both posts, bounced off Hill and moved into the back of the net. Weegar's seventh, scored at 10:46, was assisted by Rihards Bukarts and Cameron Gaunce.
Springfield's power play came alive again at the 9:46 mark of the third period to even the score. Cunningham fed Alex Grant at the point, allowing him to unleash a bomb that was tipped past Brittain by Fischer for his second goal of the night. The tally forced overtime which both teams haven't seen in almost a month.
In overtime, Springfield wasted no time collecting the extra point as Cunningham left the puck for Mermis on a zone-entry. Mermis made a nifty move around a Pirate defender and ripped a shot over Brittain's shoulder for his third of the season. The game winner, scored just 29 seconds into overtime, also saw Tyler Gaudet notch an assist. Hill made 27 saves for his first professional victory which pushed his record to 1-2-0. Brittain stopped 24 shots in the loss which downed his record to 8-10-3 on the year.
The Falcons finish the regular season tomorrow at 5 p.m. against the Portland Pirates for Cancer Awareness Night. The team will wear specialty jerseys with a silent auction held on the concourse until the second intermission. Once the second intermission begins, a live auction will commence on the concourse outside Fan Relations (Section 28). The proceeds for the jersey auction will be donated to the Griffin's Friends.
To reserve your seats, call 413-739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For all the latest Falcons information and updates, follow the Birds at www.falconsahl.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/falconsahl and on Twitter (@TheFalconsAHL) using #YourTownYourTeam.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.