Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's
St. John's, Newfoundland - The Hartford Wolf Pack's season ended Saturday night at Mile One Centre with a 2-1 loss to the St. John's IceCaps.
Tim Bozon's goal with 2:19 remaining in the third period was the game-winner, and IceCap goaltender Eddie Pasquale made 35 saves.
Adam Tambellini scored the only goal of the game for the Wolf Pack, who had been eliminated from the Calder Cup playoff race the night before, despite a 4-1 victory over the IceCaps in the first of back-to-back games in St. John's.
Mackenzie Skapski made 33 stops in the Hartford net.
"We had some chances early on in the game to put a few by him (Pasquale)," Tambellini said, "but he made some good saves, and that kind of stuff happens."
After a scoreless first period, the two teams traded goals in the second frame.
Tambellini, who had three assists in the Wolf Pack's Friday night victory, opened the scoring at 4:11, finishing a 2-on-1 break with Jayson Megna, whose pass sent Tambellini in alone on Pasquale. Tambellini's shot beat Pasquale to the stick side.
The IceCaps tied it with 2:53 left in the period, though, with Jacob de la Rose scoring his seventh AHL goal of the year. Max Friberg left the puck for de la Rose just inside the Wolf Pack blue line, and he snapped a high, hard shot through a screen and past the catching glove of Skapski.
The score remained 1-1 until Bozon was able to fire a shot into the top corner on the glove side at 17:41 of the third. Bozon was set up in the slot by a pass from the right-wing side by Mark MacMillan, after the Wolf Pack were unable to get the puck out of their zone near the blue line.
The defeat made the Wolf Pack's final record for the season 41-32-3-0 for 85 points. The team was 12-5-1-0 over the last 18 games of the regular season, falling just short of a playoff spot.
"I think we did our part for most of it," said Tambellini of the Wolf Pack's playoff push. "We won a lot of games down the stretch, and it's too bad our mid and early-season losing streaks kind of caught up to us. But that happens, and it's hockey."
To speak with a Wolf Pack representative about season or group tickets, or any of the Wolf Pack's many ticketing options, call (855) 762-6451.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.