Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Jack Campbell provided a 32-save performance in net and Matej Stranksy stayed hot with his ninth goal in the last 11 games to lead the Texas Stars to a 4-1 win over the Manitoba Moose on Saturday in front of a sellout crowd at Cedar Park Center in the Stars' regular season finale.
Mattias Backman, Esa Lindell and Greg Rallo also scored for the Stars. The Stars (40-25-8-3) swept their four-game season series with the Moose (26-41-4-5) in the win. For the sixth time in their seven-year history, Texas finished the regular season with 40 wins in advance of beginning the Calder Cup Playoffs.
Texas will host the San Diego Gulls on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. CST in Game 1 of their opening round, best-of-five playoff series.
Both teams traded chances throughout the opening period in a fast-paced start, but Backman was the one who opened up the scoring with just under two minutes remaining. Gemel Smith set up the Stars defenseman in the left circle on a counter-attack rush for his eight of the season and a 1-0 Texas lead entering the break.
Midway through period two, Stransky snapped home his 23rd of the season from the left circle on another rush to make it a 2-0 advantage for the Stars.
Esa Lindell extended the Texas lead to three on an odd-man rush at 7:37 of the third for his 14th of the season, and Rallo buried an empty-net goal from center ice late in the period to cap off the Texas scoring. Dan DeSalvo was the lone goal-scorer for the Moose at 16:35 in between Lindell's and Rallo's goals to end Campbell's shutout bid in the game.
Eric Comrie suffered the loss for the Moose stopping 19 of 22 shots. Campbell earned his seventh win of the year with 32 saves.
Both teams went scoreless on the power play as Texas finished 0-for-4 and Manitoba went 0-for-3.
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars and currently in their seventh season at Cedar Park Center. Full season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2016-17 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
1. Jack Campbell (TEX)
2. Matej Stransky (TEX)
3. Mattias Backman (TEX)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.