Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago
ROSEMONT, IL - The Iowa Wild (24-41-5-6, 59 points) were defeated by the Chicago Wolves (33-35-5-3, 74 points) 4-2 in front 14,312 fans at Allstate Arena on Saturday night. Forward Ty Rattie scored twice, including a power-play goal with 1:53 left in the second period to lead the Wolves past the Wild. Chicago goalie Jordan Binnington (17-18-5) stopped 24 of 26 shots in the win. Iowa's Connor Allen and Mario Lucia scored in the team's final road game of the year. Iowa goalie Leland Irving (12-22-6) made 24 saves on 28 shots in defeat. The game marks the end of the regular season for each team as neither qualifies for the Calder Cup playoffs.
After a scoreless first period, Chicago struck 26 seconds into the middle frame for the 1-0 lead. Forward Jordan Caron rifled a shot to the Iowa net and Leland Irving made the initial save. Right wing Ty Rattie scooped up the rebound, skated to the right and patiently held the puck long enough to snap a shot past Irving. Rattie's 16th goal of the year was also set up by Jordan Schmaltz for the one-goal lead. Iowa used its power play to tie the game at one goal apiece. Wild forwards Kurtis Gabriel and Alex Petan worked the puck around, finding Mario Lucia in the high slot. Lucia ripped a wrist shot through layers of traffic and put the puck past Binnington for his second goal of the year and a 1-1 tie. The Wolves pushed back in front at 12:36 as defenseman Christ Butler fired a shot from the point, which deflected off traffic and past Irving for the 2-1 lead. The Wild countered and tied the game 2-2 at 14:45 as Conor Allen finished off a set up from rookie Nick Saracino. Forward Rob Bordson added an assist on the goal that was the defenseman's first with Iowa and third of the year. Chicago took advantage of a power play at 18:07 to move back into the lead at 3-2. Jeremy Welsh sent the puck to the blueline for Schmaltz, who found Rattie cross-ice. Rattie's right point shot beat Irving for his second of the game and 17th of the year.
The Wolves closed out the scoring at 17:30 of the third period as Justin Selman won a race to a loose puck and slipped a shot through the legs of Irving. Defenseman Andre Benoit and forward Bryce Gervais each had a hand in Selman's first goal of the season for the 4-2 final.
The 2016-17 regular season schedule will be announced late in the summer and single game tickets for the 2016-17 regular season will go on sale in September. Follow the Iowa Wild on Twitter @IAWILD or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/iawild.
The Iowa Wild 2016-17 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center, it runs from October through April. Fans may purchase seats to see any of the team's 38 regular season home games at Wells Fargo Arena. Season tickets to see the Wild play its 2016-17 season at Wells Fargo Arena start at just $9 per game. For more information on tickets, including ticket plans and group seating, please contact the Wild ticket office by calling 515-564-8700 or go to www.iowawild.com.
Fans may purchase single-game tickets multiple ways, either through the team's website - www.Iowawild.com , the Wells Fargo Arena box office or participating Hy-Vee food stores. Tickets are available online at www.Iowawild.com under the single game tickets tab. The Wells Fargo Arena box office is open Monday - Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. and closed on Sunday. For Saturday game days, the box office will open at 10 a.m. For Sunday game days the box office will open at 12 p.m. Fans may also purchase tickets by calling 1-844-55-HYVEE or by visiting participating Hy-Vee food stores locations in the greater Des Moines area. Those interested may also visit www.hy-veetix.com. Fans interested in buying full season, or smaller season packages may call the Iowa Wild front office at 515-564-8700.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.