Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss
ALBANY, N.Y. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers and Albany Devils combined for 248 penalty minutes in a fight-filled game that ended 3-0 in the home team's favor on Saturday night at Times Union Center.
Nine game misconducts, 11 fighting majors and 50 total infractions highlighted the final away game of the season for the Sound Tigers. The team was shut out for the first time since January 3rd.
The Devils got the scoring started just 3:11 into the game when last year's MVP Brian O'Neill snuck a shot past Stephon Williams. Just after a power play for Bridgeport expired, O'Neill took a snap shot from the right circle and beat Williams under the glove to make it 1-0. O'Neill's 13th of the season was assisted by rookie Pavel Zacha.
The Devils got another goal three minutes later, when Blake Pietila put home one off a feed from Zacha, giving Albany a 2-0 lead. The two goals were the only scoring of the first period, but there were 28 penalty minutes in the opening frame, including six power plays for the Devils.
The only goal of the second period came off the stick of Reid Boucher, who scored short-handed with Pietila in the box. Boucher rocketed down the right wing and beat Williams far post, giving Albany a 3-0 lead that proved to be the final score.
Then the fisticuffs started. The Devils took exception to a hit by a Sound Tiger that was deemed clean by the referee. Damon Severson decided to take matters into his own hands, going after Parker Wotherspoon and sparking fight night. A line brawl started with just 43.4 seconds left, leading to the officials sending the players off to the locker room and finishing the period after the zambonis did the ice.
The "intermission" did nothing, as with 25 seconds remaining in the second, Pietila was stopped by Williams, then bowled over the goaltender, triggering the second line brawl of the period. Pietila was given five minutes for charging the goaltender, a game misconduct and 22 penalty minutes total.
No goals were scored in the third period, giving Scott Wedgewood the shutout on 23 shots. Williams finished with 23 saves as well, with the Devils making contact with the Bridgeport netminder three separate times during the game.
Both power plays went 0-for despite the numerous opportunities, combining for 0-for-12 on the night.
The Sound Tigers return to Bridgeport for their final regular season game of the 2015-16 season when they battle the Providence Bruins. Puck drop is set for 5:00 p.m. for Fan Appreciation Night, with giveaways from the team and more.
Bridgeport's first round opponent is still not set and can still be the Devils pending tomorrow night's results.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Jobst Agrees to Amateur Tryout with Bridgeport
- Bridgeport clinches home-ice advantage in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs
- Sound Tigers to Face Hershey in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs
- St. Denis and Aho each score in Bridgeport's penultimate game of the regular season
- Sound Tigers Cap Regular Season this Weekend