NFL, MLB, CFL stats

Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss

April 16, 2016 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers News Release

ALBANY, N.Y. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers and Albany Devils combined for 248 penalty minutes in a fight-filled game that ended 3-0 in the home team's favor on Saturday night at Times Union Center.

Nine game misconducts, 11 fighting majors and 50 total infractions highlighted the final away game of the season for the Sound Tigers. The team was shut out for the first time since January 3rd.

The Devils got the scoring started just 3:11 into the game when last year's MVP Brian O'Neill snuck a shot past Stephon Williams. Just after a power play for Bridgeport expired, O'Neill took a snap shot from the right circle and beat Williams under the glove to make it 1-0. O'Neill's 13th of the season was assisted by rookie Pavel Zacha.

The Devils got another goal three minutes later, when Blake Pietila put home one off a feed from Zacha, giving Albany a 2-0 lead. The two goals were the only scoring of the first period, but there were 28 penalty minutes in the opening frame, including six power plays for the Devils.

The only goal of the second period came off the stick of Reid Boucher, who scored short-handed with Pietila in the box. Boucher rocketed down the right wing and beat Williams far post, giving Albany a 3-0 lead that proved to be the final score.

Then the fisticuffs started. The Devils took exception to a hit by a Sound Tiger that was deemed clean by the referee. Damon Severson decided to take matters into his own hands, going after Parker Wotherspoon and sparking fight night. A line brawl started with just 43.4 seconds left, leading to the officials sending the players off to the locker room and finishing the period after the zambonis did the ice.

The "intermission" did nothing, as with 25 seconds remaining in the second, Pietila was stopped by Williams, then bowled over the goaltender, triggering the second line brawl of the period. Pietila was given five minutes for charging the goaltender, a game misconduct and 22 penalty minutes total.

No goals were scored in the third period, giving Scott Wedgewood the shutout on 23 shots. Williams finished with 23 saves as well, with the Devils making contact with the Bridgeport netminder three separate times during the game.

Both power plays went 0-for despite the numerous opportunities, combining for 0-for-12 on the night.

The Sound Tigers return to Bridgeport for their final regular season game of the 2015-16 season when they battle the Providence Bruins. Puck drop is set for 5:00 p.m. for Fan Appreciation Night, with giveaways from the team and more.

Bridgeport's first round opponent is still not set and can still be the Devils pending tomorrow night's results.

• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...

American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

OurSports Central