Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win
ROSEMONT, Ill. - Ty Rattie delivered 2 goals while Chris Butler and Justin Selman added tallies to lead the Chicago Wolves to a 4-2 victory over the Iowa Wild on Saturday night before 14,312 fans at Allstate Arena.
Goaltender Jordan Binnington posted 24 saves as the Wolves capped their 22nd season with three wins in their final four games, but never regained the rhythm established during their 8-1-0-1 start.
"Extremely disappointed, especially the way we started off," said Wolves head coach John Anderson. "So many injuries. So many changes. It just caught up to us and we couldn't regroup."
Rattie opened the scoring 26 seconds into the second period. Jordan Caron corralled the puck along the left-wing boards, carried near the goal line and centered a pass to Rattie in the slot. He held the puck and forced goaltender Leland Irving to drop to the ice before lofting it home for his 16th goal of the year.
Iowa (24-41-5-6) evened the score at 1-1 on rookie forward Mario Lucia's power-play goal from the slot at 9:35 of the second.
Chicago (33-35-5-3) regained the lead at 12:36 of the second on Butler's blast from just inside the blue line that rose over Irving's glove. Jacob Doty and Evan Trupp set up Butler's fourth tally of the season.
Iowa answered again as Conor Allen capped an odd-man rush by wristing home a shot at 14:45.
Rattie capped the second period the same way he started it as he blistered a slap shot from above the right circle to give the Wolves a 3-2 lead at 18:07. Jordan Schmaltz and Jeremy Welsh worked the puck to Rattie at the right point for the power-play tally.
Selman earned the Wolves some insurance with 2:30 to go when he delivered his first goal as a professional. He accepted a pass from Bryce Gervais ahead of the pack and raced in to slide the puck past Irving for a 4-2 lead.
Binnington (17-18-5) wrapped his season with a victory while Irving (12-22-6) notched 24 saves in the loss.
The Wolves already have six guaranteed home dates on their schedule for 2016-17, which includes the home opener on Saturday, Oct. 15. To get the best prices on ticket packages, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.