Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem
ALBANY, NY -- The Albany Devils 3-0 victory Saturday against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers was overshadowed by 248 penalty minutes, including 200 during the second period. In the end however, the win was Albany's 46th of the season, sending them into the Calder Cup Playoffs on a three-game winning streak.
Box Score | Highlights & Postgame Video
The team concluded the regular season with franchise record for wins, points (102), goals against (167) and home wins (27) -- just to name a few. Albany finished at 46-20-8-2, while Bridgeport -- a potential first round opponent - moved to 40-28-4-3 with one game remaining.
Netminder Scott Wedgewood registered his 14th win of the season and second shutout, making 23 saves. He also helped extend the Devils shutout streak to 131 minutes and 51 seconds.
Brian O'Neill, Blake Pietila and Reid Boucher each scored and Pavel Zacha registered a pair of assists.
The Devils dominated the game from the onset, scoring twice during the first seven minutes. Zacha setup both tallies, helping Brian O'Neill score off a fast rush at 3:11 and then finding Pietila off a rebound at 6:61.
Boucher made it a 3-0 game with his 19th goal of the season and the Devils' ninth shorthanded tally. Jim O'Brien, who has led the team with 13 points since Mar. 11, circled to find Boucher in front at 15:41.
From there the penalties became the focal point. The teams even exited the ice with 43 seconds remaining in the second period to allow time for the officials to sort everything out. Despite all of the infractions, Albany went 0-6 on the power play, while Bridgeport was 0-5.
- The Essentials
Shots: Albany 26, Bridgeport 23
Power Play: Albany 0-6, Bridgeport 0-5
Three Stars: 1. Rod Pelley (ALB), 2. Scott Wedgewood (ALB), 3. Pavel Zacha (ALB)
- Next Up
The Devils now wait to see who they will face in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs. Game 1 will either be Thursday or Friday at Times Union Center.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.