Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins will begin the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs by facing the Milwaukee Admirals in the best-of-five Central Division Semifinals.
The fourth-seeded Griffins and division champion Admirals will stage Games 1 and 2 at the BMO Harris Bradley Center on Friday, April 22 and Saturday, April 23 before the series turns to Van Andel Arena for Game 3 on Tuesday, April 26 and, if necessary, Game 4 on Wednesday, April 27. The complete schedule is as follows:
2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Central Division Semifinals - Best-of-Five
Game 1 Fri., April 22 GRIFFINS at Milwaukee Admirals 8 p.m.
Game 2 Sat., April 23 GRIFFINS at Milwaukee Admirals 8 p.m.
Game 3 Tue., April 26 Milwaukee Admirals at GRIFFINS 7 p.m.
*Game 4 Wed., April 27 Milwaukee Admirals at GRIFFINS 7 p.m.
*Game 5 Sat., April 30 GRIFFINS at Milwaukee Admirals 8 p.m.
* If necessary
All times Eastern and subject to change
All games on ESPN 96.1 FM and AHLLive.com
The Griffins posted a 5-3 record in the season series against the Admirals, logging a pair of shutouts and earning marks of 4-0 at Van Andel Arena and 1-3 at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, where they lost their last three visits after taking a 6-0 win in the season's first clash on Nov. 27.
This second all-time playoff meeting between these teams comes 10 years after the first, when the Admirals swept the 2005-06 regular season champion Griffins 4-0 in the Western Conference Finals before falling to the Hershey Bears in the Calder Cup Finals.
Other storylines of the series include:
Both teams have hoisted the Calder Cup once since joining the AHL in 2001. Milwaukee earned its championship in 2004, while the Griffins still have seven players from their 2013 cup squad: Louis-Marc Aubry, Mitch Callahan, Triston Grant, Jeff Hoggan, Brian Lashoff, Tom McCollum and Nathan Paetsch ; The Griffins have qualified for the playoffs for four straight years and in 14 of their 20 seasons overall, while the Admirals return to the postseason following a one-year absence that broke a streak of 12 consecutive appearances; This series will mark the Griffins' final visits ever to the BMO Harris Bradley Center, which has hosted Grand Rapids 80 times since 1996, more than any other opposing arena. The Griffins own marks of 33-30-5-5-5 in 78 regular season visits and 0-2 in two playoff games. The Admirals are moving to the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena next season; Several players and coaches from Beer City USA have connections to Brew City. Joel Rechlicz was born in Milwaukee, Triston Grant played three seasons there during a pair of stints with the Admirals (2008-10 and 2014-15), and assistant coaches Ben Simon (18 GP in 2003-04) and Bruce Ramsay (3 GP in 1995-96) each had cups of coffee on the other side of Lake Michigan.
Tickets for Games 3 and 4 of the division semifinals at Van Andel Arena are now on sale at all Star Tickets locations, including The Zone, online through griffinshockey.com, by phone through Star Tickets at (800) 585-3737, or via the Griffins app for iPhone or Android.
Available for all playoff home games, Playoff 4-Packs include four or more tickets at a savings of $3 per ticket plus no service fees. To purchase a Playoff 4-Pack, visit griffinshockey.com/playoffs or call (616) 774-4585 ext. 2.
Fans who want to experience every Griffins game at Van Andel Arena during the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs can now purchase a Griffins Playoff Pass. Enjoy the same great seat at significant savings plus the convenience of the "pay-as-we-play" method of payment. To reserve your Griffins Playoff Pass, please call (616) 774-4585 ext. 2.
Continuing a postseason tradition, the Griffins are extending their popular Friday promotion and will offer $2 beers and $2 hot dogs for all home playoff games for two hours after the doors open, while supplies last. In addition, 2,500 fans will receive Griffins playoff rally towels during the first round, compliments of Auto Value Parts Stores.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Grand Rapids Named "Top Minor League Market" by Sports Business Journal
- Red Wings Training Camp Opens Friday in Traverse City
- Griffins Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule, Ticket On-Sale Date
- Red Wings Release 2019 NHL Prospect Tournament Roster
- Red Wings Re-Sign Dominic Turgeon for One Year