Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs
Providence, RI - Austin Czarnik lit the lamp twice to help lift the P-Bruins over the WBS Penguins by a score of 3-1 in the second to last game in the regular season. Providence and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will face off in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs, with home ice being determined by tomorrow's results.
Jeremy Smith was the star of the first period, standing on his head to make 19 saves to keep it a one-goal game. The Penguins managed to get one by Smith when Rowney executed a quick one-timer off of Guentzel's pass. The best offensive chance for the P-Bruins came on a 2v1, with Danton Heinen sending a saucer pass to Max Talbot who was just barely denied by DeSmith kick save.
The P-Bruins found their feet in the second period after having been out-shot 20-9 in the first. The penalty kill unit was tested and successful on three separate occasions. Providence defense only allowed 3 shots on goal throughout the middle frame. The power play unit also found success, with Austin Czarnik netting the equalizer 15:50 into the period. Frankie Vatrano sent the puck to Alexander Khokhlachev who saucer the puck to Czarnik. His one-timer beat a diving DeSmith.
Czarnik tallied his second goal of the night with another great helper coming from Khokhlachev. DeFazio sent the puck to Khokhlachev who carried the puck down the left wing and executed a flawless centering pass to Czarnik. This marked Khokhlachev's 110th assist for the P-Bruins, a new franchise record surpassing Andy Hilbert who held the record for 11 years.
Frankie Vatrano potted the empty netter with less than a tick left on the clock to give the P-Bruins the 3-1 lead and keep his goal per game average alive at 15 goals in 35 games.
Danton Heinen made his pro debut, donning the #23 jersey for the Providence Bruins and playing on a line with Talbot and Ferlin, and also spending some time on the second power play unit. The 6'0" forward helped lead the Denver University Pioneers to a Frozen Four appearance his sophomore season before joining the P-Bruins.
The Providence Bruins play their last game of the regular season tomorrow against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
#27 Austin Czarnik (#13 Alexander Khokhlachev, #49 Frankie Vatrano) 15:50, 2nd PP
#27 Austin Czarnik (#13 Alexander Khokhlachev, #24 Brandon DeFazio) 4:30, 3rd
#49 Frankie Vatrano (#17 Seth Griffith) 19:59, 3rd EN
#30 Jeremy Smith 30 saves on 31 shots
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2016
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Schmalz Shines as Reign Fall to Gulls in Final Regular-Season - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Peter Budaj Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Crunch Comeback Falls Short in Overtime, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs to Meet Lake Erie in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Look to Playoffs Following 3-2 Loss in Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Texas - April 16 - Manitoba Moose
- Rowney Receives Team MVP, Scores Only Goal in 3-1 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Face Grand Rapids in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Rattie, Wolves Wrap Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Finish off Regular Season with 4-1 Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Texas Stars
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Falcons Rally to Defeat Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Rally from Behind against Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Defeat Phantoms, Lock up Division Title - Hershey Bears
- Providence Beats Penguins, Will Meet Again for Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Comets Claim Third Consecutive Galaxy Cup - Utica Comets
- Condors Cap Season on Three-Game Win Streak, 3-2, in Grand Rapids - Bakersfield Condors
- Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters' Playoff Schedule Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Season Award Winners Named - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins to Open Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Dominance Gets Lost in Mayhem - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Conclude Season with 2-1 Setback at St. John's - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Bridgeport ends road schedule with loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mason Geertsen Reassigned to Komets - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Top Wolf Pack to End Season in Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Guhle Scores as Amerks Drop First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Present 2015-16 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Ryan Macinnis and Kyle Wood Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Regular Season Finale Tonight against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Final Home Game of the Season Tonight at 7:30 Sees Heat Wear Military Themed Sweaters - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Recalled by Anaheim - San Diego Gulls
- Panthers Recall Shaw from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Wrap up 2015-16 Regular Season Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at San Antonio - April 15 - Manitoba Moose
- Carruth, IceHogs Shut out Griffins 4-0 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls' Early Lead Erased in 4-2 Loss to Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Capture Western Conference Regular-Season Title with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-0 in Rockford, Will Learn First-Round Opponent - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Close out 2015-16 Campaign with 5-2 Loss to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall in Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.