Falcons Fall in Season Finale
Springfield, MA - The Springfield Falcons lost the final game of the regular season to the Portland Pirates by a score of 3-1 on Sunday night at the MassMutual Center.
Neither team was able to score in the first period as the Falcons outshot the Pirates 10-6. The Falcons had two power plays during the course of the period which they could not convert on. Falcons' goaltender Adin Hill and Pirates' goaltender Mike McKenna brought the teams through a scoreless first frame.
The game continued through the second period with no scoring. Springfield killed off two penalties in the stanza and couldn't score on a power play in the final minutes of the period. The Pirates outshot the Falcons 18-11 in the frame.
The scoring finally opened 4:28 into the third period with a slap shot goal from Matt MacKenzie. His second of the season was assisted by Rob Flick and Wade Megan. Sena Acolatse added another goal via a slap shot at 9:52 to extend the Pirates lead to a 2-0 score. His power play tally was assisted by Dylan Olsen and Rob Schremp. The Falcons cut into the lead with a rebound goal from Craig Cunningham at 11:10. His 22nd of the year was assisted by Laurent Dauphin and Michael Bunting. The Falcons pulled Hill for the extra attacker in effort to tie the game with under two minutes left. Connor Brickley potted his twelfth of the year into the empty to seal the game. Wayne Simpson assisted on the goal to give the Pirates a 3-1 win. Hill made 36 saves on 38 shots to fall to 1-2-0 on the season. McKenna stopped 36 shots to improve his record to 33-17-5.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.