Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton
Stockton, CA - The San Jose Barracuda (30-26-8-3, 71pts) presented by Barracuda Networks failed to clinch the final playoff spot in the Western Conference after a 5-4 regulation loss to the host Stockton Heat (32-31-2-2, 68pts) in front 8,041 fans at Stockton Arena on Saturday evening. The Barracuda will need one point to clinch a playoff spot on Sunday at 3pm on FAN APRECIATION DAY at SAP Center vs. the Stockton Heat.
Trevor Parkes (2-0-2), Nikolay Goldobin (1-1-2), and Joakim Ryan (0-2-2) all had multi point games for San Jose while Aaron Dell made 23 saves in net in the loss. Nikita Jevpalovs also scored for the Barracuda in a wild game that saw San Jose trail 3-1, lead 4-3, but lose 5-4 in regulation. Kenny Agostino recorded four points (2-2-4) for the Heat as Stockton defeated the Barracuda for the first time this season in regulation.
The Heat grabbed a 3-1 lead in the first period of play as they outshot San Jose 12-8 in the process. Austin Carroll (6th) struck first on the Heat's 1st shot on goal at 1:50 followed by Emile Poirier (12th) finding the back of the net past Aaron Dell at 3:57. Trevor Parkes (16th) deflected a Nikolay Goldobin shot past rookie netminder Nick Schneider at 8:07 to cut the Heat lead to 2-1. But the Heat struck again on the power play with a one timer drive by Kenny Agostino (22nd) at 18:11 to give Stockton the 3-1 advantage through 20 minutes of play.
San Jose scored three goals in the second period to take a 4-3 advantage into the second intermission. Nikolay Goldobin (20th) fired home a cross ice pass from Joakim Ryan as a power play expired at 1:29 to cut the deficit to 3-2. After the Heat failed to clear the puck, Nikita Jevpalovs (5th) scored on a backdoor play after another great feed by Joakim Ryan at 13:56 to tie the score at 3-3. Just 45 seconds later, Trevor Parkes (17th) went coast to coast with a highlight reel goal at 14:41 to give the Barracuda a 4-3 edge. Shots were 12-10 Barracuda in the middle frame.
Stockton scored twice in an 84 second spell midway through the third period to take a 5-4 lead. Kenny Agostino (23rd) tied the game at 9:31 followed by a wrap-around score by Hunter Shinkaruk (27th) at 10:55 for the eventual game winner. San Jose outshot Stockton 17-5 in the third period but could not find the back of the net on Nick Schneider.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Edged in Playoff Opener, 6-5
- Barracuda Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule
- Barracuda Fall 3-2 in Regular-Season Finale
- Barracuda Put Eagles Playoff Hopes in Doubt After 3-1 Win
- Barracuda Trainer Will Leonard and Sara Leonard Celebrate Birth of Baby Girl Twins