Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton
Stockton, CA - The San Jose Barracuda (30-26-8-3, 71pts) presented by Barracuda Networks failed to clinch the final playoff spot in the Western Conference after a 5-4 regulation loss to the host Stockton Heat (32-31-2-2, 68pts) in front 8,041 fans at Stockton Arena on Saturday evening. The Barracuda will need one point to clinch a playoff spot on Sunday at 3pm on FAN APRECIATION DAY at SAP Center vs. the Stockton Heat.
Trevor Parkes (2-0-2), Nikolay Goldobin (1-1-2), and Joakim Ryan (0-2-2) all had multi point games for San Jose while Aaron Dell made 23 saves in net in the loss. Nikita Jevpalovs also scored for the Barracuda in a wild game that saw San Jose trail 3-1, lead 4-3, but lose 5-4 in regulation. Kenny Agostino recorded four points (2-2-4) for the Heat as Stockton defeated the Barracuda for the first time this season in regulation.
The Heat grabbed a 3-1 lead in the first period of play as they outshot San Jose 12-8 in the process. Austin Carroll (6th) struck first on the Heat's 1st shot on goal at 1:50 followed by Emile Poirier (12th) finding the back of the net past Aaron Dell at 3:57. Trevor Parkes (16th) deflected a Nikolay Goldobin shot past rookie netminder Nick Schneider at 8:07 to cut the Heat lead to 2-1. But the Heat struck again on the power play with a one timer drive by Kenny Agostino (22nd) at 18:11 to give Stockton the 3-1 advantage through 20 minutes of play.
San Jose scored three goals in the second period to take a 4-3 advantage into the second intermission. Nikolay Goldobin (20th) fired home a cross ice pass from Joakim Ryan as a power play expired at 1:29 to cut the deficit to 3-2. After the Heat failed to clear the puck, Nikita Jevpalovs (5th) scored on a backdoor play after another great feed by Joakim Ryan at 13:56 to tie the score at 3-3. Just 45 seconds later, Trevor Parkes (17th) went coast to coast with a highlight reel goal at 14:41 to give the Barracuda a 4-3 edge. Shots were 12-10 Barracuda in the middle frame.
Stockton scored twice in an 84 second spell midway through the third period to take a 5-4 lead. Kenny Agostino (23rd) tied the game at 9:31 followed by a wrap-around score by Hunter Shinkaruk (27th) at 10:55 for the eventual game winner. San Jose outshot Stockton 17-5 in the third period but could not find the back of the net on Nick Schneider.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.