P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins finished out the regular season with a 6-1 win over the Bridgeport sound Tigers, with all six goals coming from different skaters. Providence secures the #2 seed in the Atlantic Division and has earned home-ice advantage for the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs where they face the WBS Penguins.
The Sound Tigers got on the board first when Jones put one past McIntyre 3:26 into play, but it was the only lead they would know for the remainder of the game. Things seemed to take an additional turn for the worse when O'Gara took a delay of game a minute later, but the Providence Bruins managed to strike back with a short handed goal. Brandon DeFazio and Austin Czarnik were typically aggressive on the forecheck and successfully disrupted Bridgeport's breakout. DeFazio sent the puck to a streaking Czarnik who finished the puck low stick side.
Max Talbot scored the go-ahead goal midway through the first. Danton Heinen dished the puck to Talbot from the right corner to the high slot. Talbot's wrist shot found the back of the net and put the P-Bruins up 2-1. Heinen's assist marked his first pro point.
Providence kept the momentum in the second period, out shooting the the Sound Tigers 15-4. Brian Ferlin made it 3-1 with a wrister from the left face off circle that just barely trickled by McAdam. Heinen picked up his second assist of the night.
Colby Cave put the P-Bruins up 4-1 just two minutes later with a solo effort from the left side. His shot went over McAdam's shoulder 13:12 into the middle frame.
Ben yours added a power play tally and Frankie Vatrano notched his 36th of the season to give Providence the final score of 6-1. Despite two penalty kills, the Providence Bruins kept Bridgeport to just 5 shots on net in the third period.
The P-Bruins finish the regular season with a record of 41-22-13 and accumulating 95 points. 15 of those losses came before December 1st. Seth Griffith finishes 2nd in the AHL in points with 24-53-77, Alexander Khokhlachev tied for 3rd with 23-45-68, and Austin Czarnik tied for 7th with 20-41-61. Frankie Vatrano ends the regular season with 36 goals in 36 games and 1.53 points per game average.
The road to the Calder Cup begins Wednesday April 20th in Wilkes-Barre - puck drop at 7:05pm.
#27 Austin Czarnik (#24 Brandon DeFazio) 4:43, 1st SH
#26 Max Talbot (#23 Danton Heinen, #19 Brian Ferlin) 9:38, 1st
#29 Brian Ferlin (#23 Danton Heinen) 11:13, 2nd
#25 Colby Cave 13:21, 2nd
#5 Ben Youds (#17 Griffith, #49 Frankie Vatrano) 2:18, 3rd PP
#49 Frankie Vatrano (#17 Seth Griffith) 15:02, 3rd
#31 Zane McIntyre 19 saves on 20 shots
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Recall Kyle Keyser from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Just Short as Laval Rocket Wins in Shootout, 5-4
- P-Bruins Fall to Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener
- Bruins Assign Axel Andersson to QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats