Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - Minnesota Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has loaned forward Christoph Bertschy (pronounced Burr-chee) to Team Switzerland for the 2016 IIHF Men's World Championship, set for May 6-22 in Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Bertschy, 22 (4/5/94), played in three games with Minnesota this season, making his NHL debut on Nov. 7 in the Wild's 1-0 win against Tampa Bay. The 5-foot-10, 189-pound native of Fribourg, Switzerland, totaled 35 points (11-24=35) in 72 games with the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season, leading the team in games played, assists, and shots on goal (187) and ranked third in scoring. His shot total ranked second amongst AHL rookies.
This will mark the fourth time Bertschy has represented Switzerland in international competition. He played for Switzerland at two IIHF World Junior Championships, tallying five points (3-2=5) in six games in 2013 to rank T-2nd on the team in goals and T-3rd in scoring, after ranking T-2nd on the club with four points (2-2=4) in six games in 2012. Bertschy also helped Switzerland to a third-place finish at the World Junior Challenge in 2012-13, ranking second on the Swiss roster with six points (3-3=6) in five games. He was named to Switzerland's preliminary roster for the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship but did not participate due to injury.
Bertschy collected 30 points (14-16=30), a plus-14 rating and 26 PIM in 44 games with SC Bern in the Swiss League in 2014-15. He was selected by Minnesota in the sixth round (158th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
For information about Minnesota Wild Season Tickets or to join the Wild Warming House, the only way to secure future season tickets, visit tickets.wild.com or contact a Wild Ticket Sales Representative at 651-222-WILD.
Visit www.wild.com/pressbox for the latest news and information from the team including press releases, game notes, postgame notes, multimedia content and daily statistics.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Captures Team's First Calder Cup Playoffs Win
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements
- Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- Iowa Wild Announces First Round Playoff Schedule
- Iowa Wild Clinches First Playoff Berth in Franchise History