Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff
The Toronto Marlies and Bridgeport Sound Tigers will meet in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs as a result of this afternoon's AHL action. The Marlies, first in the North Division, were slated to face either the third or fourth seed in the North Division or the fifth seed in the Atlantic Division. The Sound Tigers concluded the AHL season with a 40-29-4-3 record, locking into the fifth spot in the Atlantic Division. The first round will follow a two-three format with Toronto starting on the road for two games, then hosting the final three games of the series. The full series breakdown can be found below;
North Division Semifinals - (best-of-5)
N1-Toronto Marlies vs. A5-Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Game 1 - Saturday, Apr. 23 - Toronto at Bridgeport, 7:00 p.m.
Game 2 - Sunday, Apr. 24 - Toronto at Bridgeport, 5:00 p.m.
Game 3 - Thursday, Apr. 28 - Bridgeport at Toronto, 7:30 p.m.
*Game 4 - Friday, Apr. 29 - Bridgeport at Toronto, 7:30 p.m.
*Game 5 - Sunday, May 1 - Bridgeport at Toronto, 3:00 p.m.
*if necessary... All times Eastern
The Marlies and Sound Tigers have never met in an AHL game previously. The Marlies are led by captain Andrew Campbell, leading scorer T.J. Brennan and head coach Sheldon Keefe. The Sound Tigers are led by captain Ben Holmstrom, leading scorer Bracken Kearns and head coach Brent Thompson. Justin Johnson is the only Marlie that has played for the Sound Tigers skating in 50 games during the 2013-14 season, while Bridgeport has one skater on their current roster who dressed for the Marlies in the past, defenceman Matt Finn. Goaltender Christopher Gibson is also eligible to return from the New York Islanders.
Playoff tickets for round one and full playoff packages are available through marlies.ca or by calling 416-597-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Islanders
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Islanders
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Marlies Stories
- Marlies Host Monsters in Second Half of Back-To-Back
- Marlies Open up First Half of Back-To-Back in Cleveland
- Marlies Look to Complete Back-To-Back with Win vs. Cleveland
- Marlies Welcome Lehigh Valley for First Half of Back-To-Back
- Marlies Welcome Laval for First of Three at Home