Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note
Rockford, Ill. - The Rockford IceHogs capped their regular season with a spectacular offensive outburst, defeating the Milwaukee Admirals by a 7-1 score in front of a sold-out BMO Harris Bank Center on Saturday.
A raucous crowd of 6,402 packed the BMO to mark the team's 11th sellout of the season, which set a new franchise record and guaranteed the team to average over 5,000 fans per game for the first time in its history. The crowd was in for a treat as Mac Carruth backstopped Rockford to its third-straight win and extended his shutout streak to 152:17 before finally allowing a goal to the Admirals in the third period.
After using a three-goal third period to finish of the Grand Rapids Griffins on Friday night, the offense picked up right where they left off with three more to open Saturday's contest.
IceHogs Rookie of the Year, Vince Hinostroza, got the scoring frenzy started with his 17th of the season 5:21 into the game. Hinostroza raced into the offensive zone before eluding an Admirals defender and snapping a shot past Marek Mazanec.
In the 12th and final meeting of the season, it didn't take long for the tempers to flare between Rockford and Milwaukee. An altercation between Ryan Hartman and Jimmy Oligny resulted in a five minute major assessed to the Admirals and a two minute roughing minor to the Hogs.
Skating four-a-side, Rockford took advantage of the open ice to bump the lead up to 2-0. Hinostroza led the charge into the Milwaukee zone before dumping a pass off for Jonathan Carlsson. The defenseman took the pass and curled around a defender before ripping a shot to the back of the net at 12:57.
On a five-on-three advantage, Dennis Rasmussen set up a Ville Pokka one-timer at the top of the faceoff circle. Positioned in front of the cage, Mark McNeill caught a piece of Pokka's blast to collect his team-best 24th goal of the season.
Rockford continued the offensive onslaught in the middle frame. Tyler Motte powered towards the Milwaukee cage but Mazanec denied his attempt. A crashing Chris DeSousa found the rebound and fired it home to push the score to 4-0 at 10:23 of the second period.
The Hogs tallied a pair of goals in quick succession in the third period before finally conceding one to the Admirals. In his return from injury, Ryan Hartman tipped home a point shot by Robin Norell at 3:21, and McNeill potted his second of the evening just ten seconds later to extend the advantage to 6-0.
Max Gortz finished off a tic-tac-toe play at 6:59 of the third to prevent a second consecutive shutout for Carruth, but the netminder held on the rest of the way.
Hinostroza wrapped up a three-point night by slamming home a five-on-three power-play goal at 17:37, notching his 18th goal and team-leading 51st point of the season.
Carruth stopped 24 shots in the win while Mazenec saved 26 for Milwaukee in a losing effort. Rockford finished 2-for-7 on the power play while allowing one goal in six man advantages against.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Announce 2020-21 Training Camp Roster
- IceHogs to Open 2021 Training Camp Monday, January 25 at BMO Harris Bank Center
- IceHogs Reveal 2020-21 Preseason and Regular Season Schedule
- Entwistle and Johnson Join Blackhawks Taxi Squad
- IceHogs Add Trio of Blackhawks Prospects to 2020-21 Roster