Pirates Prevail in Season Finale
Springfield, MA - The Portland Pirates (41-27-6-2) closed out the regular season upending the Springfield Falcons (26-42-3-5) by a score of 3-1 Sunday night at the MassMutual Center.
After playing scoreless through 40 minutes, Pirates defenseman Matt MacKenzie finally broke the deadlock at 4:28 of the third period when he shot a laser from the left point through traffic that beat goaltender Adin Hill. MacKenzie's second of the season was assisted by Rob Flick and Wade Megan.
Sena Acolatse doubled the Pirates' lead on the power play when he released a one-timer from the top of the left circle at 9:52 of the frame. The defenseman's eighth goal of the season was assisted by Dylan Olsen and Rob Schremp.
Mike McKenna made a number of spectacular saves in the third period but saw his shutout bid when Craig Cunningham deposited a rebound into the back of the net to cut the lead in half 2-1. The right-wing's 22nd of the year was assisted by Laurent Dauphin and Michael Bunting at 11:10 of the third period.
Springfield pulled Hill for the extra attacker in an effort to tie the game with less than two minutes remaining. Connor Brickley proceeded to shoot in his twelfth of the year into the empty to seal the game 3-1. Wayne Simpson was credited with the assist.
McKenna stopped 36 shots in the win, improving his record to 33-17-5.
Hill made 36 saves in the loss, dropping his record to 1-2-0.
With the victory the Portland Pirates will face the Hershey Bears in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs. The Pirates will open the best-of-five series with two home games inside Cross Insurance Arena on Friday, April 22, and Saturday, April 23rd. Friday Night is Hockey Night in Portland. College Students show a valid ID at the Trusted Choice Box Office and receive $4 off a main deck ticket.
Don't miss any of the playoff action! Reserve your seats for the entire playoff run with the Portland Pirates Playoff Strips. A $50 deposit is all you need to get in all of the Calder Cup Playoff action! Call 207-PIRATES to speak with a Pirates Representative.
Individual tickets for round one of the Calder Cup Playoffs go on sale Monday, April 18th at 12:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Islanders
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Islanders
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.