Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Jeff Tambellini recorded his third shorthanded goal of the season and added a power-play marker as the Syracuse Crunch dropped their season finale, 5-2, to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms tonight at the PPL Center.
The Crunch opened the 2015-16 season against the Phantoms and finished the four-game season series, 2-1-0-1. The team completed their 22nd campaign with a 32-29-11-4 record.
Crunch goaltender Adam Wilcox made 24 saves in defeat, while Anthony Stolarz picked up his 21st win of the season, stopping 19-of-21 between the pipes for the Phantoms. Syracuse went 1-for-8 on the power play and successfully killed all four Lehigh Valley man-advantages.
The Phantoms were first on the board at the 8:26 mark of the opening frame. Wilcox poke checked Tyrell Goulbourne's shot away, but sent the rebound into the slot for Steven Swavely to send home. Travis Sanheim recorded the secondary helper.
Lehigh Valley built up a three-goal lead with two markers in the second period. Four minutes in, Tim Brent shoveled the puck on the backhand and scored from a tough angle on the left wing side. Chris Conner and Reece Willcox grabbed the assists. Halfway through the frame, the Phantoms struck again. Wilcox made the save on Nicolas Aube-Kubel's shot from the slot, but the puck bounced off his pads and trickled across the goal line. Oskar Lindblom and Cole Bardreau earned points on the tally.
The Crunch finally solved Stolarz and robbed him of an elusive shutout with 24 seconds remaining in the middle stanza. Matt Peca passed ahead for Tambellini to skate in and backhand one five-hole on a shorthanded breakaway.
At 6:43 of the third period, the Phantoms took back their three-goal lead. Travis Sanheim fired through traffic from the top of the right circle. His shot ricocheted off a player and into the net to give the rookie his first professional goal. Danick Martel Pavel Padakin tallied the helpers. The team went on to add an empty net tally from Martel with the help of Padakin.
With 17 seconds remaining in the game, Tambellini added one more. Cameron Darcy won the faceoff in the right circle and passed back for Tambellini to send past Stolarz from the top of the circle. The late period goal was not enough to mount a comeback and the Crunch fell in their final game of the season.
Syracuse Crunch ticket packages for the 2016-17 season are on sale now and can be purchased either in person at the Crunch office located in the War Memorial at 800 South State Street in Syracuse or by calling the office at 315-473-4444. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@officialsyracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch and #BelieveInBlue.
Crunchables: Matt Spencer made his professional debut with the Crunch tonight...Jeff Tambellini had three shorthanded goals and a team-leading 29 goals this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2016
- Pirates Prevail in Season Finale - Portland Pirates
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Schedule for Pacific Division Semifinals vs. Ontario Reign - San Jose Barracuda
- Stupendous Second-Season Swan Song Socks Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Finish Inaugural Season as a .500 Hockey Club - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport falls but finds out its playoff opponent - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Show Resiliency in 2-1 Shootout Loss at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- SJ Barracuda Clinch Playoff Spot in Final Game of the Season in Fine Fashion - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey's Chris Bourque, Providence's Frank Vatrano Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Falcons Fall in Season Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates to Face Hershey Bears in Division Semifinals - Portland Pirates
- Sound Tigers to Meet Marlies in Round One - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Set to Face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the First Round of the Calder Cup Playoff - Toronto Marlies
- Bears to Face Pirates in Division Semifinal - Hershey Bears
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Reign Battle San Jose in Opening Round of 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Ontario Reign
- Vanecek Stars in AHL Debut as Bears Down Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Drop Season Finale to Phantoms, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins End Regular Season with 6-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Begin Playoffs with Providence on Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets to Battle Albany Devils in North Division Semifinals - Utica Comets
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils to Face Utica Comets in First Round of Calder Cup - Albany Devils
- Comets Drop Regular Season Finale - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Finish Season on a High Note - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Stars Reassign Brett Ritchie to Texas - Texas Stars
- Comets Hand out 2015-16 Season Awards - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Mike Reilly - Iowa Wild
- Wild Loans Christoph Bertschy to Team Switzerland - Iowa Wild
- Heat Try to Play Spoiler During Final Regular Season Game in San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Reassigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Malte Stromwall - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Agostino's Four Points Power Heat to Regulation Win over San Jose on Military Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda can't clinch in Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Rally Past Ontario 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Offense Erupts, IceHogs Finish Regular Season on High Note - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 4-2
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Edge Checkers, 2-1, in Overtime