K-Wings Drop Season Finale against Walleye
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Toledo Walleye (49-19-2-2) exploded with five goals in the second period, and beat the Kalamazoo Wings (36-35-1-0) in the regular season finale Saturday at Huntington Center, 9-2.
Kalamazoo came out strong in the first, tying the game 1-1 at the 11:51 mark on the power play.
On the play, Jake Slaker (18) ripped home a one-timer from the right circle. Erik Bradford (31) and Justin Murray (24) assisted on the goal.
Then Toledo added one just before the break and five more in the second to take a commanding 7-1 lead into the intermission.
The K-Wings then connected on the power play again at the 3:27 mark of the third. Same three players, same setup but a different shot. This time, Slaker (19) wristed home his second of the game from the right circle. Bradford (32) and Murray (25) assisted on the goal.
Jake Kielly (1-3-1-0) made 17 saves in the loss, and Trevor Gorsuch made 8 saves in relief.
The Kalamazoo Wings finished the season ranked No. 5 in the Central Division.
Stay tuned to the K-Wings social channels over the coming weeks for the 2022-23 schedule release.
Thank you, Kalamazoo, for another historic season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 16, 2022
- Oilers Fall to Rush in Final Regular Season Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Announces 2021-22 End of Season Team Awards - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Drop Season Finale against Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Announce Dates for First Round of 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Ends Season with 4-1 Loss vs. Kansas City - Wichita Thunder
- Iowa Scores Twice in Third But Allen Wins It in OT, 3-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Nailers & Komets Gear up for First Round Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Secure Brabham Cup Title with 9-2 Blowout of Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Gladiators Falter in Regular Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Solar Bears Eliminated from Playoffs in 3-1 Loss to Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Close out the Season with 4-2 Win over Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Blades Claim South Division Title in Regular Season Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End Season with 4-2 Loss in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Toledo Wins Brabham Cup Title - ECHL
- Growlers Fall 4-3 in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Maine Mariners Clinch First Ever Playoff Berth - Maine Mariners
- Fuel Name Duncan Dalmao Head Coach - Indy Fuel
- Lions End the Regular Season with Back-To-Back Wins - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Railers Keep Playoff Hopes Alive in 3-2 Overtime Loss at Trois-Rivières - Worcester Railers HC
- Watts Heads Back to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, April 16, 2022 - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - April 16 - ECHL
- Wichita Closes Season Tonight at Home vs. Kansas City - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspensions - ECHL
- Royals Seek Win at Home for Shot at Brabham Cup - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Gameday: Star Wars/Fan Appreciation Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Can Clinch a Playoff Spot with a Win Tonight against Iowa - Allen Americans
- Glads Chase Division Title in Final Regular Season Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Jacksonville Icemen: April 16, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Playoff-Bound Lions Finish the Regular-Season this Afternoon - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades Look to Lock up Division Title in Final Regular-Season Game - Florida Everblades
- Maine Mariners Can Clinch First Ever Playoff Appearance Today - Maine Mariners
- Americans Need Overtime to Beat Iowa - Allen Americans
- Royals Capture Division & Conference Title in OT Win - Reading Royals
- Raabe's Hat Trick Leads Grizz to Division Title - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.