IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals
For the third time in three days, the Jacksonville Icemen (18-28-4-3, 43 pts) are facing off against South Division rival, Norfolk Admirals (21-27-5-1, 47 pts). Jacksonville looks for revenge following a 5-4 loss in overtime to Norfolk on Monday afternoon.
These two teams have provided competitive matchups each time they meet each other. Five of six meetings have needed more than 60 minutes of hockey, and each game has been a high-scoring thriller. Tonight's game will be the final time the Icemen host the Admirals in the 2017-18 season, presented by Community First Credit Union. With Jacksonville chasing Norfolk in the standings, two points tonight will be critical for the Icemen.
Norfolk has been on a hot streak recently, winning three of their past four games. Goalie Jamie Murray has stepped up and provided the Admirals with goaltending depth during this stretch of wins. He's recorded two wins in the previous four games and he only allowed four goals in those two victories. The Icemen have faced Murray twice this season, winning once in a shootout and falling once in the same manner.
On the other side, the Icemen received good news Friday morning. The team leader in wins and shutouts, Austin Lotz, will be returning to Jacksonville following a brief stretch with the Manitoba Moose. Lotz hasn't allowed more than four goals in a game since Jan. 13 against the league-leading Florida Everblades. Recently acquired defenseman, Chad Thibodeau, is looking to make his pro debut tonight and forward Cody Fowlie will be skating in his first game at Veterans Memorial Arena. Fowlie recorded his first two professional points on the road trip against South Carolina and Norfolk.
Tonight kicks off Teacher Appreciation Night as the Icemen thank the hard-working teachers across North Florida and South Georgia for their dedication to students. Teachers can go to the game for free! Learn more! Additionally, a portion of ticket sales for tonight's game will benefit the Stoneman Douglas Victims' Fund to support the victims, families and all those affected by last week's tragedy.
Do you have your tickets for tonight's game? Click here to get your seat for the 7:30 p.m. puck drop against Norfolk. Be sure to arrive early as the first 3,000 fans receive a free Icemen mini stick, thanks to our friends at Total Air Care!
Jacksonville Icemen: 18-28-4-3 (7th in South division)
Norfolk Admirals: 21-27-5-1 (5th in South division)
Icemen: 22/271 - 10.1% (27th in ECHL)
Admirals: 38/230 - 16.5% (16th in ECHL)
Icemen: 192/232 - 82.8% (13th in ECHL)
Admirals: 185/217 - 85.3% (7th in ECHL)
Players to Watch:
#24 F Garet Hunt (JAX)
12G, 7A - 19 Pts, -10 Rating
The Icemen captain is playing some of the best hockey of his career right now. He has 6 points against Norfolk and is just 2 points shy of tying his career-best goal total of 14 with the Stockton Thunder in 2013-14.
#14 F Darik Angeli (NOR)
19G, 18A - 37 Pts, -6 Rating
Angeli leads the team in goals against the Icemen with 5 this season. He has a total of 10 points against Jacksonville.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.