Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1
ORLANDO, Fla. - Mike Monfredo scored the game-winning goal in the second period, while Cal Heeter made 30 saves to guide the Orlando Solar Bears (24-25-5-1) to a 3-1 win over the Florida Everblades (36-12-1-4) in a Wawa Sunshine Cup Series game on Friday night at Germain Arena.
The Solar Bears remain in fourth place (54 points) in the South Division. Orlando sits three points behind third-place Atlanta with two games in hand; the Solar Bears remain ahead of fifth-place Norfolk by six points with the same number of games played.
Orlando: Kristian Pospisil [PP] (Max Novak, Sam Jardine), Mike Monfredo, Joshua Winquist [EN-PP] (Novak)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (30/31)
Florida: Justin Kea (John McCarron, Matt Berry)
Goaltender: Callum Booth (24/26)
ON THE SCORESHEET
Kristian Pospisil opened the scoring with his 11th of the season on the power play just 1:42 into the first period when he snapped a Max Novak rebound past Callum Booth.
Mike Monfredo chased down his own rebound to give Orlando a 2-1 lead at 2:18 of the second period. The unassisted goal was Monfredo's fifth of the season.
Joshua Winquist sealed the game win an empty-net tally at 19:28 of the third period.
Max Novak picked up the primary assist on Pospisil's goal, and set up Winquist's empty-net goal.
Sam Jardine tacked on the secondary assist on Pospisil's goal.
Cal Heeter earned his 14th victory of the season with 30 saves on 31 shots against.
Orlando went 2-for-7 on the power play and a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.
Pospisil led Orlando with five shots on goal.
The Solar Bears take on the Norfolk Admirals at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center on Sunday, Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Cal Heeter - ORL
2) Mike Monfredo - ORL
3) Callum Booth - FLA
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.