Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers picked up a point and broke into a tie for fourth place in the Mountain Division in a 2-1 loss Friday in a shootout against the Colorado Eagles at the BOK Center.
Seconds into his first ECHL shift, Broken Arrow, OK native Bobby Watson cut through the slot and shot a one-timer into the net for his first ECHL goal to put Tulsa ahead 1-0 early. The Oilers narrowly outshot Colorado 11-10 in the opening frame and lead by one after one.
The Eagles found the equalizer when Drayson Bowman scooped up his own rebound and scored from the left circle on Colorado's first power play. The teams skated even at 1-1 after 40 minutes, with the Eagles leading the Oilers 19-18 in shots on goal.
After a scoreless third period and overtime frame, the game went into a shootout, when Michael Joly and Ryan Olsen scored for Colorado, while Charlie Sampair tallied the only goal for Tulsa in a four-round skills competition. The Oilers record in shootouts fell to 0-7, but in earning a point, Tulsa broke even with the Allen Americans for fourth place in the Mountain Division with 17 games to play.
The Oilers and Eagles will face-off again Saturday night on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center at 7:05pm on Youth Jersey Giveaway Night. The first 1,000 kids under 12 will receive a Tulsa Oilers youth jersey, courtesy of York Plumbing. Catch the action on the Sports Animal, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with coverage starting at 6:45pm.
Images from this story
Forward Bobby Watson is congratulated by Tulsa Oilers teammates
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.