Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals
Jacksonville, FL - A three-goal flurry in the first period gave the Jacksonville Icemen a lead they wouldn't relinquish as they held off the Admirals 5-3 on Friday night.
Defenseman TJ Melancon has five goals in his last four games, tying him for the lead among all ECHL defensemen. Melancon and Grant Besse each finished the night with a goal and assist. Max Cook has two points (1g, 1a) in two games since returning to the Norfolk lineup. The forward has four points (1g, 3a) in his last five games.
The goals came in flurries in the opening period for both sides. Jacksonville got the scoring started, netting three goals in 1:47 to jump out to a 3-0 lead. With the teams skating four-on-four, Tim Daly took a pass from Bobby MacIntyre in the high slot and wristed a shot into the top right corner to open the scoring. Just under a minute and a half later the Icemen doubled the lead. Tanner Eberle, parked in front of the net, tipped a point shot from Jimmy Lodge that found its way to the back of the net. Just 0:14 later the Icemen would again push the lead. Bobby MacIntyre netted his 14th goal of the season giving Jacksonville a 3-0 lead, and three goals in 1:47.
Four minutes later the Admirals offense would come to life. Norfolk was on the power play when TJ Melancon took a shot from the top of the left circle beating Austin Lotz, and getting the Admirals on the board. Just over a minute later the Admirals would get the man-advantage and strike again. Darik Angeli worked his way through the Jacksonville defense before giving way to Max Cook who deked past Lotz to bring the Admirals within one.
In the third period Jacksonville would push the lead back to three goals. Former Admiral Tim Daly intercepted a clearing attempt at the right point before sending a spinning shot towards the net that beat Reichenbach. The Icemen lead would extend to three goals once again three minutes later. Bobby MacIntyre found the puck in the midst of a net front commotion and tucked it into the net giving Jacksonville the 5-2 lead.
Grant Besse, who finished the night with two points, brought the Admirals back within two just under a minute and a half later. Besse's 25th of the season cut the lead to 5-3, but that's where the score would sit when the final horn sounded.
Norfolk falls to 21-28-5-1 with the loss while the Icemen moved to 19-29-4-3.
Ty Reichenbach made 25 saves on 30 shots for the Admirals.
Norfolk is back in action Sunday at 1:30 pm as they take on the Orlando Solar Bears.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.