Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks kick off a Friday-Saturday double-header against the Allen Americans with a 7:05 p.m. puck drop tonight at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
The game will air on KSMO-TV as the ninth game of the 2017-18 'Friday Night Ice' slate.
Kansas City Mavericks (25-26-0-2) vs. Allen Americans (25-22-4-2)
Silverstein Eye Centers Arena | Independence, Mo.
The Mavericks started 2018 on a high with a 7-3-0-0 month in January, the team's best of the campaign. They have had a difficult road thus far in February, entering Friday's game with a record of 0-7-0-1 in the second month of the year.
The Mavericks enter tonight's game with a pair of midseason additions leading the way - John Schiavo on a two-game goal-scoring streak and Danny Smith with an assist in three-straight games. Patch Alber has also added helpers in each of the last two contests.
The Mavericks' skid has come at an inopportune time, met with hot streaks from Kalamazoo, Cincinnati and Indy. Kansas City is now in sixth in the Central, trailing Indy for fifth (one point), Cincinnati for fourth (six points) and Kalamazoo for third (seven points). The Mavs have only two games remaining against any of those three teams, both against the Indy Fuel.
First Time for Everything
The Mavericks entered last weekend with a record of 13-0-0-0 on the year when leading through two periods of play, but they were upended twice in the three-game weekend with a lead after 40 minutes. The team fell 4-2 to Indy on Friday and 3-2 to the Florida Everblades on Sunday in the weekend finale.
First Responders Night
The Mavericks welcome officer Tom Wagstaff to tonight's game. Wagstaff was injured in the line of duty last March while serving on a call with Independence Police. The Mavs will celebrate his progress while supporting the remainder of his recovery, including a fundraiser with police t-shirts at the Top Shelf Team Store at the game.
How To Follow
For lines, goals and period recaps, follow the team on Twitter (@KC_Mavericks). For play-by-play updates follow @KCMavsGameday. The game will air on KSMO-TV with Joel Goldberg providing the call and Simon Watson adding analysis. Bob Rennison's radio call alongside Ryan Gibson will be available on both the Mavericks' mobile app and on the team's website, KCMavericks.com.
The Mavericks and Americans meet again on Saturday, a late 7:35 p.m. puck drop. The game is the Cheeze's Princess Party promotion.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.