Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Jeff Jakaitis stopped 32 shots and earned his 25th career ECHL shutout in a 1-0 win for the South Carolina Stingrays (33-11-5-1) over the Brampton Beast (20-24-5-3) on Friday night at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Jakaitis is now tied for the most shutouts in ECHL league history with Marc Magliarditi, who had 25 in 366 contests with five different clubs. Jakaitis has only played in 225 ECHL games.
The 35-year-old secured his second shutout of the season in his 22nd appearance and now has a record of 15-5-2. The goaltender's goals against average dropped to 2.08 for the year and his save percentage moved up to 0.922.
Taylor Cammarata scored the only goal of the game on the power play in the second period as the Stingrays won their 34th game of the 2017-18 season with their fourth shutout of the year.
Cammarata put South Carolina in front with his 11th goal of the season with a breakaway goal while the Rays were on the power play. Forward Dylan Margonari hit Cammarata who was open on the left wing during a Brampton line change and the rookie beat goaltender Will King to make it 1-0. Marcus Perrier picked up the second assist on the goal, his ninth helper of the year.
Despite being outshot 16-9 in the third period and 32-22 in the game, the Stingrays' defense played well in the final frame and their goaltender made saves on every shot that came his way to record the win.
South Carolina finished 1-for-3 on the power play with Cammarata's tally, while the Beast were held to an 0-for-3 mark on the man-advantage. King stopped 21 shots in a losing effort for Brampton.
The Stingrays now have 74 points in the ECHL standings and have moved within three points of the Florida Everblades for first in the South Division and the league.
South Carolina and Brampton meet again on Saturday night at the North Charleston Coliseum at 7:05 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all Stingrays home games during the 2017-18 season are on sale now at the North Charleston Coliseum Box Office and ticketmaster.com.
Group tickets for 10 or more fans are on sale now featuring discounted pricing and great benefits! Saturday, Feb. 24 is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Night! The first 1,000 kids through the door will get a FREE Stingrays 25th Anniversary Youth Jersey! For more information and to place an order call the Stingrays front office at 843-744-2248 or stop by 3300 W. Montague Ave. Suite A-200 during business hours.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.