Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City
The Steelheads continue their series in Rapid City on Friday night at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, following a 4-2 win in Wednesday's opener. The Steelheads have won seven of eight meetings this season with the Rush, including six of seven in the Black Hills. Idaho is six points back of first-place Colorado in the Mountain Division standings, while the Rush sit in last place and remain 17 points outside the playoff picture.
Max French scored twice for the Steelheads on Wednesday, part of a three-point game, to cement the team's eighth win in eleven games. Cole Ully and Will Merchant scored 46 seconds apart early in the first period to give the Steelheads a 2-0 lead. Kenton Miller and Pavel Jenys found the scoresheet for the Rush, but Philippe Desorsiers made 23 saves for his fourth win in his last five starts.
Max French's two-goal performance on Wednesday was his second straight two-goal outing and his first professional three-point game. French has five goals and eight points in his last six games, and he has totaled 53 shots on goal in 14 games this season. In each of the last two games, French has scored both of his goals within ten minutes of each other.
Moving the Mountain...
The Steelheads have won seven of eight contests against the Rush this season, and they have had strong numbers against every Mountain Division opponent during the course of the year. The Steelheads have a winning record this season against every Mountain Division team besides Wichita, against whom they split their only two meetings. Idaho is 29-15-3 this season against the Mountain Division, their 61 points within the division two better than Colorado.
Kenton Miller scored his team-leading 19th goal of the season on Friday, a power play goal in the second period. Miller was without a point in his prior three games, but that followed one of the best week-long stretches of his career. Miller had a four-game goal-scoring streak from February 2nd to February 10th, racking up seven goals and eight points over that stretch. Miller had 31 goals a season ago playing with Elmira and Wheeling, a season in which he scored eight goals during a six-game goal-scoring streak.
Idaho Leaders Rush Leaders
Goals: McParland (23) Goals: Miller (19)
Assists: J. Dahl (33) Assists: Sivak (27)
Points: J. Dahl (53) Points: Sivak (43)
Plus/Minus: McParland (+19) Plus/Minus: Caito (5)
Power Play Goals: J. Dahl/McParland (8) Power Play Goals: Salituro (6)
Goals-Against Average: Desrosiers (2.60) Goals-Against Average: Vay (3.50)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Returns from Recall to Texas Stars
- Supinski Seals Steelheads 2-1 Overtime Win over Oilers in Sellout
- Steelheads Slip in Return Home, 4-1, to Oilers
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Arthur Brey Ahead of Tonight's Game
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Earns First AHL Recall to Texas Stars